My Tom is driving me crazy today!

Quote:
LOL, ok I am middle aged and a bit plump, but not THAT plump
lol.png
no it's, the black we've noticed him disliking most black things now (gloves, boots, hats)

yuckyuck.gif

I think my BR Tom likes it when I wear black. My snow-on-the-ground-work-outside-clothes include black ski bibs, black down parka, black gloves and olive color rubber boots. Yesterday I was sitting in an Adirondack chair waiting for the ducky pool to fill. All four turkeys came to hang with me and peck at various zippers and clips. One of the hens lay at my feet and Tom got on top of her. I nudged him off a couple times with my leg. Then he jumped on MY leg! My boyfriend said to Tom "That's not a perch you silly turkey." "Uh" I told him, "I don't think perching is quite his only intention." Tom had been trying to figure out how to romance me and he thought he finally figured it out. NOTHING rattles that bird-I have never seen such a mellow animal.

I'm not sure if I should be hoping it's because I look like a girl turkey. I could see if I were wearing my brown Carhardt coveralls and looked at least a little more like a Bourbon Red. Maybe it's my red hair.

A friend of mine who is an umpteen generation poultry breeder/shower/judge told me I need to keep Tom away from my other non-turkey birds by spring or he could kill them with his amorous intentions. Bachelor pen coming up.

So now I wonder - will I be victimized when I finally show up not wearing lime green snow pants? (they were a gift - not my personal color choice!) I am quite sure they remember me wearing nothing else - uh oh!

Last edited:
Quote:
Uhhh, how big a problem is this? Out MW male has been strutting his heart out and our two BR females aren't interested in the slightest, yet. Although if my DH or I pick them up to move them, they continue to squat when we set them down, so maybe they're growing up. But back to the original question, will our Tom go after our female chickens if he doesn't find satisfaction elsewhere?

Lime green snow pants! If yer Tom doesn't get you, the fashion police will!

I have a red fleece neck warmer thingy I think appeals to the turkeys, muscovy ducks and chickens. I guess they think I look like them with my own wattles/caruncles. I know my red parrot is much more amenable to meeting new people who are wearing red. I can't think of any critters with bright green legs, but at least the ski pants should offer some protection from disgruntled poultry.

All of my parrots freaked out when I brought home a brown ceramic food crock rather than the brightly colored ones I usually found. I believe they all thought it was some kind of predator, like maybe an owl, and they each totally spazzed out when I tried it in their cages. I had to leave it in the middle of the room for a week so they could get used to it and finally put it in the bravest one's cage. I also don't wear dark nail polish because my otherwise mellowest parrot thinks they're talons and goes nuts . You wouldn't think animals would be so sensitive to what we wear, but apparently they are. I guess they have to be when they're prey animals.

My Tom is sooooo sweet. He's about 9 or 10 months old I think. I hope he doesn't get mean when he gets older.

Quote:
Uhhh, how big a problem is this? Out MW male has been strutting his heart out and our two BR females aren't interested in the slightest, yet. Although if my DH or I pick them up to move them, they continue to squat when we set them down, so maybe they're growing up. But back to the original question, will our Tom go after our female chickens if he doesn't find satisfaction elsewhere?

My impression is that Toms are opportunistic and even if he has a harem of turkey hens, he will still take advantage of a chicken or duck if given the opportunity. And it won't necessarily be aggressive mating that will kill them so much as his sheer size. I am playing it safe myself. My Muscovy drake was raised with chickens and tried to mate them when he got older, even though he had his own beautiful Muscovy girl I got just for him. Needless to say, drakes and chickens were segregated. Better safe than sorry I say. Seems like a miserable way for a hen to go.

Back
Top Bottom