My Tom MAGICALLY fertilized my Hen🌟🦃🎉

Kandace Edgar

Chirping
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I literally JUST GOT my Tom Turkey, a week ago, had a battle for dominance the first few days between my hen and her new beau and 3 -4 days later things settled down and she was grazing in the yard with him all weekend. Now she's been laying eggs everyday for the last few weeks and I always take them and I missed a day so she ended up with 2 eggs n her nest yesterday and now she's planted. She's sitting and won't budge. On UNFERTILIZED EGGS cuz the tom hasn't been that successful yet. But she won't let me near them eggs or she tears my hand up. Do I just take them? Or do I try to get some fertilized eggs under her so her sitting will be worth it? Can I put fertile chicken eggs under her to hatch? Will it make a difference? She's a very docile bird and I said she tears my hand up but it's not that serious. I just don't want her sitting for nothing if I can help it....now mind you these are the first turkeys I've ever had but I've done research and can't really find an answer for how to handle this one lol I guess she thinks since the tom looked at her, that's all it took and the deed is done haha any help is much appreciated. I love this sweet girl and have babied her since day one. Probably how she's so calm and such a good girl. But I'm struggling with this egg ordeal. Dare I say she's made her nest in the corner of my BEDROOM?!!???

So I literally JUST GOT my Tom Turkey, a week ago, had a battle for dominance the first few days between my hen and her new beau and 3 -4 days later things settled down and she was grazing in the yard with him all weekend. Now she's been laying eggs everyday for the last few weeks and I always take them and I missed a day so she ended up with 2 eggs n her nest yesterday and now she's planted. She's sitting and won't budge. On UNFERTILIZED EGGS cuz the tom hasn't been that successful yet. But she won't let me near them eggs or she tears my hand up. Do I just take them? Or do I try to get some fertilized eggs under her so her sitting will be worth it? Can I put fertile chicken eggs under her to hatch? Will it make a difference? She's a very docile bird and I said she tears my hand up but it's not that serious. I just don't want her sitting for nothing if I can help it....now mind you these are the first turkeys I've ever had but I've done research and can't really find an answer for how to handle this one lol I guess she thinks since the tom looked at her, that's all it took and the deed is done haha any help is much appreciated. I love this sweet girl and have babied her since day one. Probably how she's so calm and such a good girl. But I'm struggling with this egg ordeal. Dare I say she's made her nest in the corner of my BEDROOM?!!???
Just because you didn't see the tom breed the hen does not mean that he didn't get the job done. Things happen when you aren't looking.

The hen going broody also has nothing to do with whether or not the eggs are fertilized. She would have gone broody even if you didn't have a tom.

I would move the hen off of the nest and take the eggs. Gloves are an option to protect your hands. Here it is fall. I won't let my hens go broody in the fall. It is time for them to stop laying for the year.

Set some fertilized eggs in front of her and she will roll them under her. I have a turkey with chick right now.
Not sure I would want them in my bedroom. Broody poop is nasty.
Thankfully I had some fertile chicken eggs and she tucked them right under and luckily I had a big cardboard box with straw in it, in the corner of my bedroom since Im decorating around my house, porch, etc., or fall, And since she's pretty much a spoiled pet, my hen follows me everywhere, and the weather is so nice where I live right now so I leave the back door open and apparently she's decided my bedroom is a nice safe spot to make her nest in. But if I can get her out of the box and manage to get it moved elsewhere, will she panic or will she just get back in it wherever I move to box to??

Awe
Just because you didn't see the tom breed the hen does not mean that he didn't get the job done. Things happen when you aren't looking.

The hen going broody also has nothing to do with whether or not the eggs are fertilized. She would have gone broody even if you didn't have a tom.

I would move the hen off of the nest and take the eggs. Gloves are an option to protect your hands. Here it is fall. I won't let my hens go broody in the fall. It is time for them to stop laying for the year.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the tips.....my wifi is horrible so it took me a minute to get this to load lol but thank u I know this is definitely not the right time of the year but since I'm new with turkeys I just wasn't sure if maybe I was supposed to just let her sit since she's a tame domestic bird? Thanks again I'm finna try and get her moved and get those eggs lol!

Back
Top Bottom