my toulouse is making a strange sound

jynxster

Songster
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
San Diego CA east county (Alpine)
my female toulouse suddenly tonight started making a hick uping sound this evening. She feeds on grass in the yard and really nothing new added so what to do no money here for a vet. She is a year old always healthy mellow goose been hatching regularly last month to 6 weeks. It cant be normal as her male partner is acting very concerned as well. She is not talking like she normally does and there is plent of clean water. dirt grit shoud I do?

I have had sebastopols for almost 6 years and have never heard them hip cup. The goose just might have something caught in the throat. Just keep a good eye on the goose to make sure nothing gets worse. Keep plenty of deep water so the goose can put the head all the way down in over the eyes and clean and swish out the nostrils and throat.

thank you I likley wont sleep tonight I love my 2 babies. She has plenty of clean water but since this breeding season started, she has been laying regularly. And my male cotton patch, they have grown up together, comes after me with a vengence whenever I approach either of them, yet tonight when I went out there he didnt even try to come after me, like he knew I was trying to help and am concerned. I really think animals know

What does she do when she makes the sound? Does she shake her head, or "convulse" like people do when they have hiccups?

Does she show any other signs of discomfort except for her lack of talking? Is she eating, drinking, bathing, preening, grazing as usual? Is she lethargic?

Does she hiccup all the time, or is it only once in awhile? Are they series of hiccups, or do they come on regular intervals?

she seems to be trying to drink and is walking around kinda slowly not convulsing or shaking her head. just seems unconmfortable, not really grazing the hic cupping sound like almost a squeaking sound lke she swallow a small dog toy squeaker when she hiccups. im worried . would this be a soundfrom pain? like being egg bound? she is currently laying a egg evey other day. shen laid yesterday not today?? thank you

It does not sound like she's egg bound. If she laid an egg yesterday, her next egg won't be due until tomorrow.

But it does sound like she's in pain. Maybe she ate something that's stuck in her throat or her bill? Like a nail, a piece of string, a splinter of wood, metal wire? Can you see anything if you open her bill? Can you feel anything if you gently press on down her neck?

My best tip for opening a goose's bill is to hold the head with one hand and put the other hand's thumb nail on the tip of the lower bill and use it as a lever. Then I quickly put in either a finger (that may hurt!) or a pencil across so the bill stays open. Someone else needs to hold the goose completely still.

I'm just guessing here, but I wish you and your goose the best of luck.

Well took her to the vet this mornig. she is not choking she is "reguritating" ex rays showed a very very small piece of metal in her large intestinge ready to be pooked out, her egg in the exray is fine would be laid today. Exray exam and no concrete answer $400. I now give her a broad spectrun antibiotic injection in the brest 2 times daily if not better come back tomorow evening. I could not afford all the other suggestions, keep her there major blood panes and such, the original estimarte was over $800 so i got the exray and now know shes not choking but not sure what else this could be. Trying to remain calm but she really sick obvioulsy. this sucks. and Im bummed and worried for her. your kind words are very supportive I have no others to turn to. Im a loner live in the country with my animals and pretty much keep to myself.

Well took her to the vet this mornig. she is not choking she is "reguritating" ex rays showed a very very small piece of metal in her large intestinge ready to be pooked out, her egg in the exray is fine would be laid today. Exray exam and no concrete answer $400. I now give her a broad spectrun antibiotic injection in the brest 2 times daily if not better come back tomorow evening. I could not afford all the other suggestions, keep her there major blood panes and such, the original estimarte was over $800 so i got the exray and now know shes not choking but not sure what else this could be. Trying to remain calm but she really sick obvioulsy. this sucks. and Im bummed and worried for her. your kind words are very supportive I have no others to turn to. Im a loner live in the country with my animals and pretty much keep to myself.
I'm so sorry but hopefully with the antibiotics she'll pull through. do you mean the small piece of metal in her intestines is about to be pooped out? Maybe thats the problem.

no she keeps squeeking/honking like something is stuck in her throat but the vet said shes just regurgitating over and over and over and over, sound horrible too. To leave her at the vet for 24 hrs was another 200 bucks. Now that shes home Im freakin out cause I can hear her and the male is trying to mount her and she hasnt laid her egg yet. I have no more money. Im at a loss.

Took her back to the vet will leave her there till after work tomorow night , sad but I just couldnt bare to hear her screaching in pain. I suppose the electric bill wont get paid this month LOL so hopefully she will turn around. The male is so mad rite now that she isnt here but............well I have to feel I have done all I can I cant stand to see a animal in pain, I personally think vets take adantage of that but then so do doctors. Im soo frustrated and bummed. ok all I can do now is pray.

Back
Top Bottom