What The Heck Is This Sound My Rooster Is Making?

ChickenFlock44

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
Hey everyone, I have one rooster named Steve. Steve is a rumpless rooster who is seven months old and has never grown a tail. Tonight I heard him making this strange, moaning sad sound. I have never heard a chicken make this sound before. Steve has been separated from my hens for a few weeks because he was being way too rough when he was trying to mate with them. He has his own chicken run near the hens and has been eating, drinking, & crowing normally. I am now worried that this sound could mean he is sick or even depressed? Has anyone experienced a chicken making a noise like this?
Here is a link to a video of him making the noise.

I don’t know - that’s interesting! He might well be lonely in there by himself… My roos make a slightly similar sound but it’s higher pitched and a bit softer. Usually when around me and in relation to me somehow but I haven’t figured out what it might mean yet.

I don’t know - that’s interesting! He might well be lonely in there by himself… My roos make a slightly similar sound but it’s higher pitched and a bit softer. Usually when around me and in relation to me somehow but I haven’t figured out what it might mean yet.
If he is lonely I feel so bad. Steve was suppose to be a hen. When I told the person I got him from that he sold me a rooster and not a pullet he said that I could return him and he would eat him. I couldn’t let Steve get eaten so now we have a rooster. Steve is very friendly and not the smartest guy. I wish I could find a solution but I have a mixed size flock (bantam & standard size) everyone gets along fine but Steve tries to mate with my bantams and he could seriously injure them. I tried rehoming him but nobody wanted a funny looking rooster without a tail. 🙁

If he is lonely I feel so bad. Steve was suppose to be a hen. When I told the person I got him from that he sold me a rooster and not a pullet he said that I could return him and he would eat him. I couldn’t let Steve get eaten so now we have a rooster. Steve is very friendly and not the smartest guy. I wish I could find a solution but I have a mixed size flock (bantam & standard size) everyone gets along fine but Steve tries to mate with my bantams and he could seriously injure them. I tried rehoming him but nobody wanted a funny looking rooster without a tail. 🙁
Aaawww - I know, roosters are so tricky. They can be absolute jerks, but of course they don’t know any better… Is there maybe a way you could keep him close to the flock at night? In a little crate in the coop or something like that? If the coop is too small that will just have to be his lot….can’t have him tyrannizing the hens. Maybe keep advertising him on craigslist or something like that - I have had good luck finding homes for my unwanted roos on farms…

I've never heard that before either.

I'd check him for any air bubbles under the skin around the air sacs, especially the cervical and interclavicular air sacs.

Look inside his beak for any lesions or canker.

Could be he's just moaning around. Does he normally crow - has he crowed in the past?

1701320348859.png

Hey everyone, I have one rooster named Steve. Steve is a rumpless rooster who is seven months old and has never grown a tail. Tonight I heard him making this strange, moaning sad sound. I have never heard a chicken make this sound before. Steve has been separated from my hens for a few weeks because he was being way too rough when he was trying to mate with them. He has his own chicken run near the hens and has been eating, drinking, & crowing normally. I am now worried that this sound could mean he is sick or even depressed? Has anyone experienced a chicken making a noise like this?
Here is a link to a video of him making the noise.
It could be sadness or depression. Chickens are flock birds. Roosters are affectionate whether it's to us or the girls. Since he's young, he's got a bit of an overload of testosterone right now and has trouble controlling himself. He will mellow with age. It would be better for him to be housed with the girls but in a wire dog kennel. This gives him a view of them but not the access.

Back
Top Bottom