My tractor/coop

Armyman2007

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Looking for feedback on my tractor/coop. It is a "salatin inspired" tractor I plan to raise cornish X's in. It is 8' X 5' with a door to add feed and water. It is a little heavier than I originally intended so I am going to have to add 2 wheels to the back. I was originally going to line it with poultry netting but after reading posts on here am going to put hardware cloth on instead. Let me know what you guys/gals think. This is my first time raising chickens.

DSC02202.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

Make sure you use hardware cloth. With a skirting of fencing to deter digging predators. I had 30+ Cornish x's last year and 1 week before processing a family of racoons came and killed every single one. They were in a hoop house with chicken wire. Chicken wire keeps chickens in and lets everyone else in.

I want to do something similar this year. With your design, are you planning to add anything else to shelter them from driving rains, wind? Just not sure if 3 sides is enough.

Happy - I am going to add 2 wheels to the back to assist in moving it each day. It actually isn't too heavy, maybe 100 pounds?

Amy - I am just going to make sure the back (longest part covered by plywood) always faces north. A lot of models I see are only protected on the North and West sides to protect from elements. I will just make sure chickens are pretty hardy and at least 4 weeks old before putting them in.

Back
Top Bottom