1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Turken is on the power lines!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mom 2em All, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My turken, apparently flew to the top of the coop- then to the power lines over-head.

She looks every bit like a vulture.

Now- how do I get her down before she becomes fried chicken?

Sure hope my neighbors don't think I am raising vultures.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Step 1) Get a picture and post it here
    Step 2) Don't herd her towards either pole. As long as she doesn't short anything (contact bare metal with one foot to something un-insulated like the pole) she will be fine.

I'd spread a little scratch on the ground between the two power poles and then ignore her.

3. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I agree with FlakeyChick, very good advice, especially Step 1. Please get to that right away! [​IMG]

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ok, the was the quick response. Here is the more detailed response. Squirels may get zapped on the power lines because as they are climbing on to the wire with their front feet, the back feet are still touching the pole. If there is a break in the power-line insulation, the current will travel through the front legs and out the back legs. Birds rarely get zapped.

Typically only the largest birds (like osprey) get zapped and it happens when wings touch terminals on the pole.

By the way, the power lines are the top 2 wires. Everything below that is ground or signal (phone, cable, etc.). Those lines won't hurt her.

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    And I thought my chickens got themselves into trouble! [​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Pics! Pics! Pics! [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yes, pictures, please. After you get her down, I'd clip her wing(s) so she can't do that again! She could be easy hawk bait up there. [​IMG]

8. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I clipped her wings as soon as she came down- should have seen her walking/wobbling along the line.

I only had my cellphone handy-

[​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Does your turken act like a juvenile delinquent? Mine does and I have to throw a treat to the far end of the coop before I can go in or she will try to escape.

10. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Yes, she is! She is the sweetest bird toward people-she is quick to peck at the other chickens though. However, as soon as I open the gate to go in their yard, she is trying to duck under my foot to get out. But, if I sit down, she is the first one to hop up on my lap- looking for treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by