My Turken is on the power lines!

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
My turken, apparently flew to the top of the coop- then to the power lines over-head.

She looks every bit like a vulture.

Now- how do I get her down before she becomes fried chicken?

Sure hope my neighbors don't think I am raising vultures.

Step 1) Get a picture and post it here
Step 2) Don't herd her towards either pole. As long as she doesn't short anything (contact bare metal with one foot to something un-insulated like the pole) she will be fine.

I'd spread a little scratch on the ground between the two power poles and then ignore her.

I agree with FlakeyChick, very good advice, especially Step 1. Please get to that right away!
lol.png

Ok, the was the quick response. Here is the more detailed response. Squirels may get zapped on the power lines because as they are climbing on to the wire with their front feet, the back feet are still touching the pole. If there is a break in the power-line insulation, the current will travel through the front legs and out the back legs. Birds rarely get zapped.

Typically only the largest birds (like osprey) get zapped and it happens when wings touch terminals on the pole.

By the way, the power lines are the top 2 wires. Everything below that is ground or signal (phone, cable, etc.). Those lines won't hurt her.

Yes, she is! She is the sweetest bird toward people-she is quick to peck at the other chickens though. However, as soon as I open the gate to go in their yard, she is trying to duck under my foot to get out. But, if I sit down, she is the first one to hop up on my lap- looking for treats.

Back
Top Bottom