my turkey is loosing feather please help what should i do????....

his right leg has a curve to it at the knee and he could barely walk when i got him he would take a couple of steps and fall to the ground from being tired now he gets around great he can almost run when i put the feed out but he wobbles from his leg you should beable to see it in the pictures how his leg curves and thank you once again i really appreciate it:weee  

When I used the word `unusual', in my previous post (re: wt. loss), I meant it in the sense of being `rare'. The fact that he already had leg issues and is now improved significantly is even more rare.

So, all that is under discussion is the source of the calories (& vitamins/minerals), not how many (you've got that worked out just fine). Again, our adult turks during the `Turkey Explosion Season' (right now - run fencing, favorite range & dirt bathing area in fire pit look as if an extended pillow fight is underway) will take up to two and a half months until the last of the waxy sheaths on the new feathers are picked off while the turks preen. - Middle of July -late September for major molts.

Could be up to a month before you see a lot of nubs poking through the skin - new feathers. You could also try placing clean, dry straw in his favorite resting/sleeping area (less friction on chest).
However, keep him `thin' & alive.

Keep up the good work! You're one of the first members whose posts I've read that has/is rehabbing a male BBB (some folks have had a bit of luck with the hens), successfully. :)

Last edited:
thank you
big_smile.png
but i still need to know about the black oiled sunflower seeds in my other posts that i asked about thank you so much you have been a big help

Sorry, forgot to paste it to post:

Yeah, TS one's will do fine. Place in a separate container where all the birds have access (maybe the others chowing down will give him the idea).

ok great if i have anymore questions i will ask and i will let you know when i get them and how he turns out thank you

You're doing a great job! Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

I'm so glad to hear about his legs, too! Just a thought... I give my growing emus brewer's yeast over their food... emus can have a ton of leg problems if they don't have enough B vitamins. I wonder if you sprinkled some over his sunflower seeds, if that would help his joints at all? I dunno if it would have any effect or not, though, and brewer's yeast is a little pricey (like $12 for a tub). He sounds like he's doing great!
celebrate.gif

You should definitely post pictures after his feathers come back in!

hi everyone just an update on the turkey he is getting alot of those plastic covered feathers for his tail a couple have come in and the rest are still growing there are at least 30 of them starting to grow i will post pictures of them when they start to come in better thank you everyone

crack corn and sweet feed mixture and i fill the containers 1 aday hes ussually the first one to get to the feed
Turkeys need high protein diet. Get game bird feed if the feed store doesn't have turkey feed. They shouldn't eat chicken feed too high in calcium. Also a good seed mix. Baby turkeys need high protien like 33% and then step it down as they age. Look for feeding charts online for turkeys. A good diet will help feather growth.

Turkeys need high protein diet. Get game bird feed if the feed store doesn't have turkey feed. They shouldn't eat chicken feed too high in calcium. Also a good seed mix. Baby turkeys need high protien like 33% and then step it down as they age. Look for feeding charts online for turkeys. A good diet will help feather growth.
Please check the date of the post before you reply. The post you replied to is from Sept. 3, 2014. The member that you replied to has not been on BYC since Sep 18, 2014.

The member had a turkey that was molting.

Not sure anyone will respond back. Last comment was made in 2014..

Back
Top Bottom