my turkey is loosing feather please help what should i do????....

Does he like to lay around alot?

My hen had the same thing where she would lay and move around and that gradually the feathers would wear off.

at night he sleeps outside on the dirt and during the day he likes to lay in the shade and with his beak bring dirt to his chest to cool him off i live in florida so it gets hot
smile.png

this is a picture of his belly you can see there are a few new feathers but not alot it just rained today thats why he is wet
big_smile.png

there is his tail feathers i looked in them and i saw like three new stems that are going to be feathers

also he sleeps out side all the time since i had him on the ground where ever he feels like so idk if that has something to do with it because it rains and that might make his feathers fall apart idk

He will look pretty soon.

at present probably is about 30 - 35 pounds he used to weight 65 when i got him and he is a pet  also i have had him longer then a year  and ever since i have owned him his underneath has had no feathers 

That's quite a diet you've got him on. The main thing, as HAIDA'S post mentioned, is to feed a balanced diet. Black Oil Sunflower seeds are a good source of additional protein. You might consider poultry vitamins as well. If you notice any undigested corn in droppings, then put out a pile of various sized small gravels where he can get to it. Also, any live grasshoppers/moths you happen upon are ~60-90% protein (ours can't get enough).

You've obviously got the quantity of feed right (a BB tom losing 30 pounds :eek: ), just look to upping the protein level and he should feather-in nicely.

before i got him he was locked in a small pen with a bunch of chickens and another tom turkey and they would go away for the week to travel and fill all the feeders up to last them for a week and the turkeys would sit infront of the feeders and eat as much as possible thats how he got so fat and thank you i will try giving him some extra protein where can i get those sunflower seeds at?

before i got him he was locked in a small pen with a bunch of chickens and another tom turkey and they would go away for the week to travel and fill all the feeders up to last them for a week and the turkeys would sit infront of the feeders and eat as much as possible thats how he got so fat and thank you i will try giving him some extra protein where can i get those sunflower seeds at?

It's just highly unusual for A BB to `take it off' after `putting in on', even with exercise. The Black oil sunflower seeds are available at any feed store/tractor supply. Don't be surprised if he doesn't go after them right away, turkeys get VERY set in their ways when it comes to what they will eat (all will go after squirming/fluttering insects, however).

his right leg has a curve to it at the knee and he could barely walk when i got him he would take a couple of steps and fall to the ground from being tired now he gets around great he can almost run when i put the feed out but he wobbles from his leg you should beable to see it in the pictures how his leg curves and thank you once again i really appreciate it
wee.gif

also how would i feed it to him because he roams the yard with some of my chickens and ducks and they all eat out of the same container should i mix it with the feed or put in a seperate container and put him aside away from the chickens and let him eat as much as he wants also how long before he will start to show signs of improvement and one more question when does molting start for turkeys and how long does it last

Back
Top Bottom