My turkey tom and hen mated naturally

Udeagbala

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
I'm new to raising turkeys, so I understood that BBW can't mate naturally unless assisted via artificial insemination and the hen doesn't make good mum etc. I never the breed a purchased and grew into adults and mating just fine, infact my hen has layed 4 huge eggs.
Should I incubate her eggs or let her have them, she put together a spot where she's laying every morning and now shows aggression towards chicken.

Attachments

• 20201229_103252.jpg
    20201229_103252.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201229_103324.jpg
    20201229_103324.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 27
I'm new to raising turkeys, so I understood that BBW can't mate naturally unless assisted via artificial insemination and the hen doesn't make good mum etc. I never the breed a purchased and grew into adults and mating just fine, in fact my hen has laid 4 huge eggs.
Should I incubate her eggs or let her have them, she put together a spot where she's laying every morning and now shows aggression towards chicken.
Broad Breasted turkeys can mate naturally especially if they are yearlings. The hens do not make good mothers because they are not capable of moving their feet in the delicate manner that heritage turkey hens can.

If the turkeys that you are showing in your post are the turkeys in question, they are not broad breasted turkeys.

The tom is a heritage Black and the hen is a heritage white.

This is not the first time that you have made false claims about what your turkeys are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-with-his-hen-what-should-i-expect.1435664/

My standard bronze are breeding well. Even breeding my BBB hen. Our BBB Tom was able to breed when he was about 6-9 mo old, but after that, he was way too big. We got standard bronze after we lost him and they are 1 year old now.

Broad Breasted turkeys can mate naturally especially if they are yearlings. The hens do not make good mothers because they are not capable of moving their feet in the delicate manner that heritage turkey hens can.

If the turkeys that you are showing in your post are the turkeys in question, they are not broad breasted turkeys.

The tom is a heritage Black and the hen is a heritage white.

This is not the first time that you have made false claims about what your turkeys are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-with-his-hen-what-should-i-expect.1435664/
I am by no means an expert on birds or people for that matter, it just seemed a little harsh to say "This is not the first time that you have made false claims about what your turkeys are." Udeagbala may be basing her breed name based on where she purchased her turkeys. I have purchased 2 day old chicks from a fed store labeled X and they turned out to be Z. I have also ordered chicks of a specific type and there was one that looked like the others in the beginning but turned out was not the same breed as the others I ordered. That may be the confusion mislabeling at the point of purchase. So maybe informing what the actual breed is like you did would be more educational rather than calling her out as for lack of a better term lying. I am always fascinated when people are able to tell a chick breed by a picture posted on this site. I wish I had that ability but alas I am a backyard girl not a breeder or show my flock.

I am by no means an expert on birds or people for that matter, it just seemed a little harsh to say "This is not the first time that you have made false claims about what your turkeys are." Udeagbala may be basing her breed name based on where she purchased her turkeys. I have purchased 2 day old chicks from a fed store labeled X and they turned out to be Z. I have also ordered chicks of a specific type and there was one that looked like the others in the beginning but turned out was not the same breed as the others I ordered. That may be the confusion mislabeling at the point of purchase. So maybe informing what the actual breed is like you did would be more educational rather than calling her out as for lack of a better term lying. I am always fascinated when people are able to tell a chick breed by a picture posted on this site. I wish I had that ability but alas I am a backyard girl not a breeder or show my flock.
The OP was already told in other threads what kind of turkeys they are.

R2elk did previously inform this person that they were mislabeling their turkey. They still posted this thread, once again mislabeling their turkey.

Back
Top Bottom