My turkey will not get off her empty nest

Thank you all so much for your advice. We are going to get another girlie friend this week. Save one from becoming someones Christmas dinner. :)

Mine was super broody like that as well, I left a few eggs for her to finish hatching, and she finally got off the nest when one hatched. This coming spring, I will leave a few chicks for her to raise instead of taking them all away from her.

She has, for the first day in months, got of her nest in the morning without me physically removing her. We are getting her a friend on Saturday!!! Hopefully things are improving! Thanks for your help!!

We got Buster a friend! She was brilliant for a couple of days. Not sitting on her nest, only at night, and following her nerw buddy around! Then the new turkey, Mabel, has laid 2 eggs and Buster is back to square one!!! LOL. Also Mabel was with a stag up until Saturday, will the eggs be fertile?? If so I could maybe let her hatch one or 2???

I would think the eggs are probably fertile. It wouldn't hurt to try!
idunno.gif

LOL, the eggs were fertile, one died and one hatched. I have just started a new thread as the adults now hate each other!!!
he.gif

We got Buster a friend! She was brilliant for a couple of days. Not sitting on her nest, only at night, and following her nerw buddy around! Then the new turkey, Mabel, has laid 2 eggs and Buster is back to square one!!! LOL. Also Mabel was with a stag up until Saturday, will the eggs be fertile?? If so I could maybe let her hatch one or 2???
Dumb question whats the difference between a jake, a stag, and a tom?

Dumb question whats the difference between a jake, a stag, and a tom?

A jake is a yearling tom and a tom is any male turkey. Prior to reading this forum, I had never seen the term stag used to describe a male turkey. I have to believe it is a term that is local to some countries just like in Europe a male deer is called a stag while we in the USA refer to a male deer as a buck.

Back
Top Bottom