my turkey's leg turned green... please help.

It appears the turkey suffered a serious impact to that upper leg or something attacked it. The injury looks like it occurred days ago, judging from the missing feathers and the new pin feathers already emerging and the color of the bruise. Do you recall a ruckus several days ago in the flock?

I don't think you need to euthanize. But the bird could be made more comfortable with a heating pad (on lowest setting) against the bruised area. If you can find a crate that can confine the bird while providing access to food and water, it would be more comfortable than trying to walk around.

In this case, aspirin is not advisable since it could cause more bleeding into the tissues.

It appears the turkey suffered a serious impact to that upper leg or something attacked it. The injury looks like it occurred days ago, judging from the missing feathers and the new pin feathers already emerging and the color of the bruise. Do you recall a ruckus several days ago in the flock?

I don't think you need to euthanize. But the bird could be made more comfortable with a heating pad (on lowest setting) against the bruised area. If you can find a crate that can confine the bird while providing access to food and water, it would be more comfortable than trying to walk around.

In this case, aspirin is not advisable since it could cause more bleeding into the tissues.
thank you so much for this information. it is very helpful. I have 3 cameras in my chicken coop, I check all videos I did not notice anything unusual except some rats showed up at night. I don't think the rat can hurt turkeys. I kept this injured turkey in my house so I can have close look at her. I hope she can get better soon! and thank you again for the very useful information.

When viewing videos, look for a sudden unexplained flurry of panic. I've had chickens injure themselves when they panic when a predator shows up. Poultry are prey, and they react instantly with flight when startled by a perceived threat, and I've seen them throw themselves against a solid barrier trying to escape through the shortest most direct route. It hasn't happened in my flock, but some smash themselves so hard, they break their necks or incur serious brain injury.

When viewing videos, look for a sudden unexplained flurry of panic. I've had chickens injure themselves when they panic when a predator shows up. Poultry are prey, and they react instantly with flight when startled by a perceived threat, and I've seen them throw themselves against a solid barrier trying to escape through the shortest most direct route. It hasn't happened in my flock, but some smash themselves so hard, they break their necks or incur serious brain injury.
thank you so much for your suggestion. my turkey is getting better now. the green is almost gone and she can walk again. I really appreciate your help to save my turkey's life. thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom