My turn my turn! Is she a roo?? (EE)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Winters Witch, May 31, 2012.

1. Winters Witch

Winters Witch In the Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    Hello chicken (s)experts!

I have been staring and staring at my little EE. I have suspicions that She is a Roo (I've started calling her Rue) but "She" hasn't started crowing yet,& her feathers are rounded around her neck (also a she indicator, from what I've read). They came from a chicken swap, and may have different parents. I suspect "Rue" is 2 weeks older than Poppett (the brown one). Rue is very protective of Poppett, she won't let me hold Rue without holding her too. If I ever need to capture Rue, I just grab Poppett, then she will fly right onto my hand.

Please share your thoughts! I appreciate any help you can give!

[​IMG]

Rue

[​IMG]
    Poppett (brown) Rue (Silver)

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

3. Winters Witch

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    no you are right, there ARE some red blotches on her wings! I took a double take the other day, i thought it was blood!

4. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Then she would most likely be a he.

1 person likes this.
  5. Winters Witch

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    oh man!!! So much for guaranteed hens! I better make sure HE turns out to be a nice rooster!!! my DH has misgivings about Roosters....and has said he will end up on the dinner table. But I just don't have the heart to separate them, they are so close, and get really stressed when apart. [​IMG] My other hens have always picked on Poppett, and I have to keep them separated from the rest of my flock right now, so they are extra close.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not seeing the roo color, so far I'm thinking pullet. But if you're seeing red, wait a few weeks and post again, if it's a roo that red will become more visible.

7. Winters Witch

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    I'll see if i can get a close up on him. and Post some more pictures of his back/shoulders.

8. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    im not seeing cockerel colors either yet

9. Winters Witch

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    ok so I ran outside and tried to get some feather close ups. these were the clearest images out of the bunch.

[​IMG]

Wing/Neck

[​IMG]

back, i can see some of those reddish/brown spots.

[​IMG]

however those spots are not obvious from any sort of distance

10. Winters Witch

May 1, 2012
    Belfast, Pa
    ok so I ran outside and tried to get some feather close ups. these were the clearest images out of the bunch.

[​IMG]

Wing/Neck

[​IMG]

back, i can see some of those reddish/brown spots.

[​IMG]

however those spots are not obvious from any sort of distance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: