My turn my turn! Is she a roo?? (EE)

Winters Witch

Chirping
9 Years
May 1, 2012
Belfast, Pa
Hello chicken (s)experts!

I have been staring and staring at my little EE. I have suspicions that She is a Roo (I've started calling her Rue) but "She" hasn't started crowing yet,& her feathers are rounded around her neck (also a she indicator, from what I've read). They came from a chicken swap, and may have different parents. I suspect "Rue" is 2 weeks older than Poppett (the brown one). Rue is very protective of Poppett, she won't let me hold Rue without holding her too. If I ever need to capture Rue, I just grab Poppett, then she will fly right onto my hand.

Please share your thoughts! I appreciate any help you can give!

Rue

Poppett (brown) Rue (Silver)

no you are right, there ARE some red blotches on her wings!  I took a double take the other day, i thought it was blood! 
Then she would most likely be a he.

Actually, a VERY easy way to show people sexing EE's by demonstrating with your pictured birds there is by color. EE's are very easily sexed by color, as most are actually sex-linked too.

Females in most cases come out a partridge looking brown and black, often known as wild-type duckwing. Some though are silver too, which is strictly black and white, sometimes with a salmon breast.

Males on the other hand are quite often black and white, but have colored red, orange, or yellow feathers that emerge on sometimes the neck, back, and most importantly and almost always the shoulders. These are tell-tail signs of a male, as females cannot have that color in those regions. Other male colors that are red flags are one coming out with a black breast and red markings on the shoulders, neck, and back. /img/smilies/smile.png

True saddle and hackle feathers actually come in much later, so judging by them is a hard thing to do, especially when someone is new with chickens.

oh man!!! So much for guaranteed hens! I better make sure HE turns out to be a nice rooster!!! my DH has misgivings about Roosters....and has said he will end up on the dinner table. But I just don't have the heart to separate them, they are so close, and get really stressed when apart.
hit.gif
My other hens have always picked on Poppett, and I have to keep them separated from the rest of my flock right now, so they are extra close.

I'm not seeing the roo color, so far I'm thinking pullet. But if you're seeing red, wait a few weeks and post again, if it's a roo that red will become more visible.

ok so I ran outside and tried to get some feather close ups. these were the clearest images out of the bunch.

Wing/Neck

back, i can see some of those reddish/brown spots.

however those spots are not obvious from any sort of distance

ok so I ran outside and tried to get some feather close ups. these were the clearest images out of the bunch.

Wing/Neck

back, i can see some of those reddish/brown spots.

however those spots are not obvious from any sort of distance

Back
Top Bottom