My two Buff Orpingtons-same age and such a difference in their faces!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmerinKC, Aug 1, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Big Buffy is on the left and Sweetie is on the right-I think they are both girls-they are the same age but Big Buffy is so much redder in the face-bigger comb and wattles. They will be 15 weeks old in two days. I have read that Buff Orpingtons really vary in how fast they mature-but I'm starting to wonder if Big Buffy is a he? Any opinions?

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It really looks like a boy to me. Can you get a full body shot?

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Big Buffy is a roo, no doubt. You can see pointy hackle(neck) feathers. A full body shot would confirm.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Big buffy is now to be called big buff. [​IMG]

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm not at all an expert but my BO started to turn that red at 15-16 weeks. And she's definitely a hen.
    I agree a full body shot would be helpful.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Looks like you have a beautiful rooster!

7. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    A rooster for sure! I just went through this. I was in denial. I decided to await a egg or a crow. The very next morning, that boy crowed![​IMG] I did find him a really great home and he is living happily ever after.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think buffy could be a hen. They have to start getting red sometime, and should start laying at 18-20 weeks. A profile body shot would help, to look for saddle feathers and thicker legs, plus the body color is richer on cockerals.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    You for sure have 1 rooster and 1 pullet. I have two Buff Orpington roosters (15 weeks July 30th) that look just like yours. One started crowing a couple weeks ago, the other should start any day.

10. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't think it's a rooster at all. My BO are the same age and one has a huge waddle and comb and the other has a very small one. And they are both hens because they are both laying! What is its behavior? I say they are both females. Some just take longer to develop.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by