My twp. says I have to get rid of my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrich

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
holland Mi
So how do you start to I guess change the laws regarding having chickens? I went before the zoning appeals board last night and they would not say yes but they also didn't say no. It seemed like such a simple common sense request. My immediate neighbors as well as everybody living with in 300 ft is in favor of us having the chickens. Two of our immediate neighbors have horses. I tried the approach that is it not part of the govt's job to help the citizen in there persuit of happiness as long as that citizen is not infringing on the rights and quality of life of others. I guess I have to pursue the planning commision now but it sure seems like they just enjoy making it complicated. All though I did not say it it seemed like what we deal with in Washington but at the local level. Please give me your thought and opinions, I am not going to drop this

I'm a little confused.. So do you have chickens and are trying to fight having to get rid of them, or are you trying to get chickens and don't understand their bi-laws? :/

All it takes is one neighbour.. One person to complain.. I have so many neighbours FOR my chickens, but ONE person complained, and I got an evacuation notice for them. I am moving in April because of it. Hoping they will just let me keep them until then. I am ticked off.

We have 3 hens. We had a rooster and I had this romantic notion that he would crow once when the sun came up. Needless to say I was mistaken. Before we got rid of him somebody called the twp. Since then I have educate the neighbors about the chickens and why we want them and every body seems to be in favor of them. Not only do we try to eat healthy it has become a quality of life issue.

I'm a little confused.. So do you have chickens and are trying to fight having to get rid of them, or are you trying to get chickens and don't understand their bi-laws?
hmm.png

All it takes is one neighbour.. One person to complain.. I have so many neighbours FOR my chickens, but ONE person complained, and I got an evacuation notice for them. I am moving in April because of it. Hoping they will just let me keep them until then. I am ticked off.

How true! Most of my neighbors didn't mind at all. Just the one old guy right next door to me. I think that the Broward Sheriff's Office and Animal Control has told him to quit calling, unless he has a real emergency to report!! I'm told he is the neighborhood busy body, and has been for many, many years.
th.gif

I would strongly recommend you post this (or at least view) the section regarding local chicken laws. I am sure there is lots of advice to be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom