My Ugly Coop... UPDATED!

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
So, someone tipped me off about the ugly coop contest on the chicken whisperers website. I just finished sending the e-mail and I hope it's not too late to enter. Things have just been so bad lately and we've all been so depressed (especially me, I can feel one of my depression fits coming on and I've been fighting it) that I really hope we win. It could really perk things up around here and give us all some hope! I've been having such bad luck with my birds lately that I've seriously spent most of this past week contemplating giving it all up. The only reason I didn't was that my birds all have dry pox and/or lice and I could never knowingly pass on sick/infested birds to someone else and risk their flock. I owe a big thanks to Sunny Side Up who kept me in the game this long. My family doesn't support my chicken hobby so her encouragement is all thats kept me going.

57215_2.jpg

Anyway, for those intruiged by the title, this is my "coop". Due to some unforseen circumstances we were left with less than 24 hours to pack up our things and move and the only palce we could go is move in with my dad. I had to give up about half my flock and was only able to take 15 of my favorites with me, had to give away 2 (rooster crowing too much, neighbors complained, his favorite hen went with him), and 4 more have died since Ive been here (3 from pox, 1 mystery) so I'm down to 9 chickens. This was the only pen I could take with me (we were only able to take what we could fit in 3 cars. I had to tie the cage to the roof of my station wagon). It's just wire circles held together with zipties. I put palm ferns on top for shade. I cut a hole in an old storage bin and put it in there for shade and protection but they never use it. Ive got the cage staked down with yard staples but I've been told that raccoons are bad in the area. I randomly get up at night and look out my window to check on them.

Hopefully we get jobs soon and can move out. At least then we can save to build or buy something better. I had to pawn some things to get the money for the lice dust and some antibiotics to help combat the pox infections some of birds are getting in their eyes.

I really hope I win, like I said we could really use it, but I'm not a sore loser. If anyone else out there wants to enter here is a link to the chicken whisperers website with the contest on it. The e-mail address to send your entry to is on this page too. I don't know if it's too late to enter but good luck to you anyway!
http://www.chickenwhisperer.net/id70.html

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

ETA: The water is yellow from the medicine and electrolye powder. It's not dirty.

Last edited:
I went to the website thinking I could vote for you having the ugliest coop. Are they just choosing? I think it would be a better contest if we could vote. I'm hoping you get that new coop!!!
fl.gif

Thanks for your support guys! I'm mostly just worried about my chickens. This is the first time I've ever tried to raise them and I've raised tons of other animals over the years and never had a problem meeting their basic needs and giving them every bit of care they needed. I feel like I can't do that for my birds and I want them to live happy chicken lives. They're all still young, none have even begun to lay yet, and I see them all as my pets so it really hurts me to think they're poor condition is something I may have caused.

The chicken whisperer announces the winner on wed live on his show. In the meantime, I'm heading back out on the job hunt.

You know what? I dont have pretty, huge palace like coops/runs. (Im in limbo here. Looking to move so dont really want to build large permanent coops just to have to take them down or leave them) But I dont think my chickens mind!
They have room to move around, fresh air, ground to scratch, our leftovers, grass when its cut, weeds from the garden, fresh water, a place to go in at night, a place to lay eggs and love.
And I think thats MOST IMPORTANT!!! Not how fancy or expensive their coop is! (Hey, I even submitted some of my coops/runs on the Most Tacky Coop thread on here =-)
I think you are doing just fine with your chickens!

Dragoneggs I think your coop looks fine... it isn't the ugliest thing I have seen by far and I am sure your chickens are just fine.

Sorry for what you are going through right now.. I am sure the job angles will shine on you very soon.

Back
Top Bottom