My updated brooder...Whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So we updated our living room brooder a little bit. We like to brood our newly hatched for a few weeks inside, basically for entertainment. Then they'll be moved outside to a heated small coop/run. But for people wondering how to get away cheap...thought I'd post a pic. Other than the light, feeder and waterer, the only money spent was for the piece of clear plastic we bought at Lowe's today for 10 bucks. Had them cut it in half, and I affixed it to the front with a few screws. We like to look at them while hanging out watching tv.

Our first brooder was a rubbermaid storage container, and we had cut a hole in the front of it as well, and covered it with plastic chicken netting. Those chickens turned out to be the friendliest chickens ever. They'd sit on a roost in the brooder and look out at us...who knows, maybe watched a little tv, LOL. But that brooder was a bit small for our needs, so before our next hatch, I started looking around, and found, at the recycling center, one of those cheap book cases from wal-mart. I took it home (got yelled at, was told there "ain't no prowling in those containers, country law", but took it anyway. Removed the shelves and it made a great brooder. Only thing was, there was no open front for us to view them, and for them to see us. Those chickens turned out much flightier. They are not big on human contact at all. Also, it wasn't as much fun for us. So today, a few days after our last hatch, we went to Lowe's and purchased a 10 dollar sheet of clear plastic, had them cut in half long ways. I came home and cut the front section out, and screwed the plastic panels on the front.

The chickens were freaked out at first. They were in there for a few days since hatch without the front window. But after an hour, they started running around and checking us out. The hope is that they are much friendlier, like the first hatch. We'll see.

All in all, very cost effective and fun for us and the kids to sit and watch in the living room. Here's the pic....

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think it looks great [​IMG]

3. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    i like it: [​IMG]:,, can't wait to get my chicks next week.. it's been 2 years since i had any new chicks.. i'm so excited. i'll post pic's when they come [​IMG]

4. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    [​IMG] I think it looks great! I love chickie tv too [​IMG]

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

HAHAHAHA
    Sorry just have to lol at chickens in the house [​IMG]

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I know, I know. Can't help it. Not really any smell the first 2 or 3 weeks. After that, outside they go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by