1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My very first egg hatched, then died in brooder?! Please help?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    My first silkie egg hatched at 4 am night before last. I left her in there til 10:30 pm last night and took her out because she was getting her foot stuck in the wire bottom. I moved her to the hatcher which I had set up for 2 days. When she hatched, she seemed very strong and very noisy. She moved around the bator very well from one side to the other. When I moved her to the bator, she was chirping for an hour and then all of a sudden...nothing! [​IMG]
    I went into the next room and she was just laying there. Hoping she was just sleeping, I kinda nudged her and nothing. She was gone. I don't understand what happened! I am so sad, I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept thinking about that little baby and how I failed her. Its devastating! I have only one more pip from almost 24 hrs ago and it hasn't changed. All of the other eggs (13) is doing nothing. Its day 22 now for me. I don't think I will be able to do this again! Its not the same as getting day olds, or week olds and something happening...I watched this baby pip, zip and plop her way out of the egg. She was so strong, so I am sure it is something I did wrong. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:You said the hatcher was set up for 2 days, so I assume you had food, water and the correct temp in there. At that age she didn't even really need the food, and what else would she need? So why do you feel you did something wrong? Sounds to me like she most likely had some genetic defect and was doomed.

Sorry for your loss, but I hope you won't make it worse by beating yourself up any more. Can you call a friend, maybe, and talk about it?

I've never tried to incubate eggs. I've read enough here to see how many things can go wrong, and how hard it can be to figure out what the problem is. Here's hoping you have a late hatch!

3. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

We had one die last night after being moved to the brooder. Ours was just a weak chick. I know it's hard to lose them though.
    Keep your head up, sometimes there just isn't anything to be done.

4. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I did not have any food in there with her, and I did give her a little water, but then took it out because I was going to bed and didn't want her to jump in it and get wet or drown, etc. I was going to try food in the morning. She wasn't quite 24 hrs old....only 18 hrs. To me she just seemed so strong that nothing was wrong with her. Maybe inside, she was sick and didn't show it? Its just like your dog or cat having babies, and one dies for whatever reason. Its very sad.

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Heres crossing fingers that the remaining hatch makes it..but at day 22 already and only one pip out of 14......Im not sure.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:fl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by