My very first eggs are beginning to hatch!

I take my chicks out within 2 hours of hatching. Make sure you have a hatcher already warmed up ready for them.
The sooner they can start drinking and eating the stronger they will be. Don't leave it till the last minute if you don't have to. Opening and closing an incubator is nothing to worry about. At this point the incubator will be very humid from all the newly hatched drying chicks also. I'd get them on food and water as soon as you can over leaving them in the incubator.
Congrats on the ones so far.

Appreciate all the ideas everyone! Nobody has gotten past the first bit of cracks, trying not to get anxious or count my chickens before the hatch

The first egg to show signs of hatching shows new pieces of eggs broken! When I looked really close I could see movement. The egg appears to have some sort of membrane intact underneath the egg shell that is not yet pierced.

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_143846727.jpg
    IMG_20210307_143846727.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 5
Up to 4 and the 5th is actively starting to push himself out :). Am planning on moving the dried off ones into the brooder around noon. Do they stop hatching at night?

leave them in there till everybody is dry and fluffy,repeated humidity drops will dry some out and prevent hatching,the ones moving motivate a slow hatching chick bcz all chickens suffer from FOMO...who knows what they could be missing if he doesn't get out soon? really,leave 'em be till it's done....

Up to six! The earliest hatcher is being kind of aggressive to the others... Nipping them and also digging around in old shells. He even harrassed a chick as it was breaking out of its shell... Guess that's the dominant one lol

the time or onset of a chick’s access to feed and water will have long lasting consequences. In other words, if birds are withheld access to feed for periods of time their growth trajectory will also be delayed throughout their growth phase in the production facility (Figure 3). Likewise, if the earliest chicks to hatch start on feed and water 24 hours or more prior to the last chicks to hatch, the growth trajectory would likely be the same as if chicks are withheld feed.

from https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/whats-the-real-issue-with-early-chick-feeding

just worth adding. As long as you are aware of the risks and that opening the incubator really quickly will have minimal risks.
The risk is with an open pip for the membrane to get excessively dry and turn leathery making it hard for a chick to hatch. That takes more than a minute opening the incubator but it is always a risk being awre of which is why I have a small spray bottle to spray the air in the incubator to quickly raise humidity again when opening it.

Edit: In real terms a 36 hour delay to feed basically equals a weeks delay in growth by week 8 from what I understand so also not the end of the world for the back yard flock

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom