my very own micro farm

Pics
i would so give you a hand....if you needed it digging the pond..its such a joy to do this type of stuff i have landscaped for over 10 years....so if you need help just let me know i will fly out and give you a hand

Haa.... seriously would take all the help I could get. Still not sure exactly how I'm going to tackle this now that the shape is mostly there. Looked at billboard tarps papercrete plastic molds, still looks like concrete is going to be where its at. Need to plan it all out ahead whatever it is that I do. Don't want to have to fix it once its done.

Another Swed egg in the nest this morning. Not sure what she'll do once the mallard decides to sit for good. Which should be soon, there's 13 not counting the grey ones. And the other new nest is up to 3.

well keep me posted on if you need help...ill be there for sure...just let me know ahead of time...ill fly out...ill camp out by the pond...lol...im a person of the woods so i can handle it...your thinking about using concrete....what about a liner for the pond...also did you decide on how big/deep and what to put into the pond....i have experience with the larger tanks as i raised piranha in a two hundred gallon tank for years...also did salt water in a 135 gallon and hand fed a shark and eel goldfish...so let me know...i have people that will by on stand by with any questions we may have about the ph and stuff for the pond...im so up for it and need to get out of michigan

The fish are secondary to getting the pond complete. Tilapia would be my first choice but trout seems a more natural fit for my area. I just walked the rim of the pond and its just under 50' in diameter and I'm hoping for around 4' feet at the deepest point, its filled in a bit between the weather and animals so needs work. Right now it looks like a big plastic mud puddle with rocks around it. And a pile of dirt behind it and Oh ya and that tree I made.
If your serious, probably mid to end of may is my estimated time to do it. A lot going on between now and then for both of us I think. I've got this pretty sweet 16' tent and a 5th wheel on the property. The weather is gonna be great tho. If littleblu isn't off to college by then she'll be able to help too. Only about 20 mins away. This will probably be one of my biggest projects by far

Last edited:
The fish are secondary to getting the pond complete. Tilapia would be my first choice but trout seems a more natural fit for my area. I just walked the rim of the pond and its just under 50' in diameter and I'm hoping for around 4' feet at the deepest point, its filled in a bit between the weather and animals so needs work. Right now it looks like a big plastic mud puddle with rocks around it. And a pile of dirt behind it and Oh ya and that tree I made.
If your serious, probably mid to end of may is my estimated time to do it. A lot going on between now and then for both of us I think. I've got this pretty sweet 16' tent and a 5th wheel on the property. The weather is gonna be great tho. If littleblu isn't off to college by then she'll be able to help too. Only about 20 mins away. This will probably be one of my biggest projects by far
I think trout need cold running water.
Do your research, I was into ornamental ponds for quite a few years, found a forum or two and learned alot.
Read about alot of train wreck ponds that became mires of anaerobic pestilence because of lack of due diligence.
Like chickens they seem easy, but there are some details that can make it or break it.

Do your research, I was into ornamental ponds for quite a few years, found a forum or two and learned alot.
Read about alot of train wreck ponds that became mires of anaerobic pestilence because of lack of due diligence.
Like chickens they seem easy, but there are some details that can make it or break it.  
Not to mention trout need deeper water than just 4 feet.

Not to mention trout need deeper water than just 4 feet.

This is obviously all up in the air and nothing is set in stone. Those were just two fish i enjoy eating. There are plenty of "pond" options. And I'm still mostly in the idea faze. These are things im sure I would come across, but thanks for the heads up.

Have you considered bluegill? They are excellent tasting (to me at least) and they are winter-hardy, although I don't know what the winters are like where you are at. Are you gonna get a predatory fish such as a bass or catfish to control the fish population? I know I'm asking a lot, but I know a lot about pond stocking and stuff like that.

@Rocky64 that's too funny. Those are some of the next few fish in my list. All native to this areas water ways aswell. It can get to freezing here and sparatic snowfall in the winter. My ducks were still in the pond a few months ago while it was freezing around them. Lol. They are also very adept at fishing, Ive put feeder fish in their twice and the mallards go crazy over em, my turtle won't even eat fish. I've drained it several times since with no survivors. those ducks are fast. I'll have to get crafty with hiding places for the fish when I start the build.

"Mires of anaerobic pestilence" Very picturesque wording there!

Back
Top Bottom