My war against rat/ mice infestation

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
Rats and mice were living under a bunch of pallets I threw behind the coop. It was infested! Today, i waged an all out war! I found a lot dead from poison I've been putting out, but a lot still alive too .

What I've done:
I jacked my coop up on cinder blocks, removed everything, shavings and all from inside coop and burned all pallets and dead bodies. I put bait stations under coop and 1 in coop. Food is being put in a metal can at dusk. There is no place for them to hide.

I found 1 hole in bottom of coop, I stuffed a rock in it until I get some more hardware cloth tomorrow.
As I sit here watching the burn pile, I can see them running around under the coop.

Any other advice?
20180707_145946.jpg
20180707_150005.jpg

I bought mouse poison that looks like a granola bar, I put it in a plate on the top shelf in the coop kitchen, mice nibbled on it all winter then.. no more!!i put a wire cage over it for cats and chickens , mice cat fit threw a very small hole

I think cleanliness is huge with mice if there’s no food they will leave ...good luck with Mickey and friends let’s hope they leave soon

I went through this last year and I thought I would never get the rat infestation under control. This might sound crazy but after trying everything else I mixed maple and brown sugar oatmeal with plaster of paris and maple syrup together and made little balls and left them where ever their droppings were and within a month they were gone. I also sprinkled plaster of paris around the trails they would use I have yet to this day seen any sign of rats at all.

The colony is a lot smaller than it was the other day. So, I'm just going to keep fighting the fight. Cleaning up bodies and using different poisons and bucket traps. Hopefully without the pallets and coop to hide under and no food to find, they move along.
Just be careful that your chickens don't come across any dead rats that were poisoned.

Back
Top Bottom