My waterers keep breaking- suggestions?

Lixit 632 Feeder/Fountain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKP664H/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_76P23N0WSMAZYWW2EJH7

This is the only one that lasts for me. I love these. Versatile feed/water and they have different sizes 1.5 gal to chick sized and they switch up so you can use feed or water. The BEST part for me is they last. I still have the first one I purchased 4 years later and it is in perfect shape just a little sun faded. All other waters have failed me. Metal gets stinky, other plastics last about 1-3 months.
True confessions. I did shoot a pellet through a green dish and my roos had a skirmish and put a crack in the globe of one but then I just pieced the broken ones together and used it for food. My DH fiberglaassed the globe and bonded the dish and I can use for water again if I like. His repair has held for over a year now. This waterer is the only surviving type that I have, I have added to my stash as I will only purchase this now. I have 8 of them for water, use them all every day for years and love them.
For the cleaning, a scrubby and a small stick with bleach water every so many days and your great!
Great post BTW

Last edited:
20211101_133924.jpg
20210807_150512~2.jpg

They love to kick things into it. If I end up getting one without legs I'll raise it on bricks, but I'd rather just have legs
Yeah, they do kick stuff in. I use black rubber feed pans and dump them every day. I also have a 5 gallon metal waterer for when I know I won't get home reasonably. I just tried a hanging waterer in my grow-out pen and they are getting , well, crap in that. And one goofy bird keeps trying to get on top and slides off over and over again.

They love to kick things into it. If I end up getting one without legs I'll raise it on bricks, but I'd rather just have legs
I have found making my own blocks works the best for me. Mine make total mud in minutes if I don't raise my dish. I found containers that the stores give you in abundance when you buy a pie, pastry or sandwich work great. You can get a $5. bag of quickcrete, mix some in a bucket w/ a little water (consistent to a milkshake) pour it in your plastic pastry/sandwich container, let sit for 24/48 hours and then you have the perfect block to raise food or waterers on your terms.

I find mine tend to wear out due to uv exposure - or when my brother in law trips and crushes it while chook sitting for a few days XD.

Good thing it was only cheap. Next, I'm trying out a gravity-fed fountain style that hangs from the ceiling and is filled with sand to keep it from rocking - will hook it up with a blue barrel that should give it enough pressure - otherwise I'll get a flow adjuster and hook it up to the tank system.

Some people use rubber stock tanks hooked up to the mains as well.

Its impossible to keep all the frass out of them. You either hang them and it gets blown away on windy days, or put it closer to the ground and the kick dirt and sand in while doing their thing. Problem is, they put their dirty beaks in there, so dirt will get in there no matter what you do.

Leaking in what fashion?

While I get my chickens onto horizontal nipples ASAP because I hate, loathe, and despise having to scrub poop out of the water, I only have leaks with gravity waterers IF they aren't sitting level.

My UV levels in the southeastern US are brutal on plastic, so I keep my plastic feeders and waterers in the shade if possible so that they don't degrade and become brittle. That shouldn't be a problem for you in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom