my wee flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by QuinnP, Oct 20, 2012.

1. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    I've been Official Chicken Keeper at a Dairy Farm for months. They are a bunch of different breeds, plus my own roo, Junior who is a Polish Crested.

Anyhow, the owner of the dairy is a very nice man named Joe Rocha & he lets me adore the feathers off of his ornamentals.

I've managed to identify most of the breeds: Sandy & Sally are identical twins & they are Dutch banties with brown chest feathers, grey & whie head feathers & dark grey wingies. The only way to tell them apart is Sandy loves to cuddle & Sally doesnt.

WallyWattles & Mrs FluffyPuffy are I think Chinese cochins, white with black tail feathers. Precious is an Old English Banty, & Junior attacked her a month ago, & she has not walked since. She is pampered, spoiled & cherished the way Arlo was.

Boots & Betsy, I dont know. they look like fat little feather dusters with black feathers. I thought they were Australorpes but they have feathered legs. Boots has PTSD from being nearly scalped months ago & he hasn't crowed since he got hurt, but he is a good boy.

Thor is a prtty red rooster, not a RIR because his comb grows out fat, not tall.

King Louie-Charles the 17th & Marie-Charlotte, I have no idea. Louie is red,, but he is very tiny & his crow sounds more like a loud squeak. Marie might be a RIR

there are 2 new chickies, Cheeper who was born on Sept 30, & Shanti who was born on October 2. My first guess is they are Maisie, a millie fleur, & my goofball boy Junior who likes to sit on my head

Helen is a millie also, but she never shuts up & her voice is like claws on a chalkboard........................

Polly hatched the two chickies, plus another one that din't survive She & Alice I dont know what they are. Cookie is a splash Maran & she is currently sitting on a big clutch of eggs

Snickerdoodle is a Golden Sebright rooster, & Billy is a cochin who keeps tring to chase Mrs FluffyPuffy. Biscuit is a porcelain d'uccle.

I bring them treats every day, Junior loves sardines & they all love watermelon, grapes, peaches, veggie soup, Mighty Dog food, millet, I brought them worms the other day & they acted like they were terrified!!!! Next time I'll give them crickets.

Precious, like Arlo, is content to sit in a basket in her stroller & watch the world go by. She is staying in a hospital cage as I know the others would be mean to her.

I'm thrilled to be around chickensagain
  2. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
  3. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I too think chickens are great! I am a Psychologist and work with people from all walks. Days like today make me want to take up chickening Full-Time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by