my week old ducks seem "tired"

mamaluvschick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Kersey Colorado, USA
We recently bought some ducklings at Murdocks and the little guys seemed to be doing fine until yesturday and now they just want to sit down and dont seem to active. they are eating the same poultry food as out chicks, is this the problem? Help, I really dont want to loose any ducks.

Is the chick feed medicated? Some have different opinions on this, but Since they aren't feeling well, my thought might be that they are eating too much medicated food and getting something they really don't need or shouldn't have. Most farm stores have electrolite stuff - kinda like "save-a-chick" that you can add to water. You can also put in a little bit of sugar in the water too to see if they spry up.

What is the temperature of the brooder? Is it too hot for them? My ducks hated anything over 85!! Maybe someone else can help you, these are just my ideas. Good luck!

Also, are you supplementing their feed with extra niacin? waterfowl need more niacin than chickens, and can suffer weak or malformed legs and nerve damage when they don't get enough. Do a search here in the duck section on brewers yeast or niacin.

Do they have adequate water? they can't eat food without water. They also need to be able to submerge their heads to clear out their nares. Is the water deep enough for that?

Is the brooder too hot? are they able to move to a cooler area if they want?

They also may just be tired. Growing that fast is hard work.

thanks everyone for helping me out. I did do a few things, I searched everywhere around here and I could only get a "flock" feed. They seem to be feeling better. I enlarged their space just in case they are hot. Maybe a bigger water bowl will be helpful too.

thanks everyone for helping me out. I did do a few things, I searched everywhere around here and I could only get a "flock" feed. They seem to be feeling better. I enlarged their space just in case they are hot. Maybe a bigger water bowl will be helpful too.

Good! I'm glad you took a few of our recommendations to heart! I hope they get to feeling normal prety quickly. BTW.. We love pictures :) hint hint

I will add some pictures soon. :) cause my ducklings are just the cutest. o.k. maybe I am a little prejudice!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom