1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My weird colored orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ozark hen, Sep 27, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Yes, they are full orps. I don't have another breed of roo on the place..well, I do have one male silkie who tries to mate but he just way too short. I do have one female dominique but I know her eggs as they are smaller than my orp eggs.
    I have hatched these four here. I threw some in the bator and didn't keep any notes as to when but they look to be about three months old or so. Here they are. My fav are the black and white and the lemon and blue (that is what I call it anyway) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I have the buff roo (my avatar) and this blue roo from Speckled Hen who is the leader of the flock of buff, splash, blue and black hens. I also have two hens from Miss Prissy's Red Project and one RED roo from her eggs but he has just started trying to breed. Here is a pic of the blue roo. I don't know what just happened to his tail feathers??

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pretty birds.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Well, I think they're awfully pretty. [​IMG]

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    love the colors

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Oh I love the lemon blue looking ones...what color orps do you have ? Maybe someone here could help distinguish what breeds could have made them...

6. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    it can be done! we had a silkie who got the job done with my blue rock girls. check their toes and see. I hatched three of their eggs and two of the three came out w/5 toes.

here's a pic
    [​IMG]

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I already checked their toes and other features of silkies and they are non existant. I have watched him and he just cannot do the job. [​IMG] These are not silkie mixes.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:As stated in my o.p., I have buffs, splash, blue, black, and some mixed with a red roo orp. As you can see my blue roo has a lot of gold in his feathers so I suspect it is some throw back from his coloring?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some weird genes have popped out in some of Suede's sons. I even had one who was barred like a black sexlink who was Suede's son with my RIR/Buff Orp, Meg. If you look at Suede's tail, you can see the subtle barring of med blue/light blue. Since his daddy came from Sandhill, you have to wonder what the heck was going on. The barring I sort of get, with them breeding in blue Rocks to help with inbreeding (which shows on occasion in yellowish legs), but the wild gold colors are something. Suede's hackles get very brassy/goldish when he's molting, but the hackles grow in blue again. Wild! [​IMG]

10. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    the blue an yellow hen and roo would be a great start on a lemon blue project I dont think anyones tried yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by