My White Rock is making duck-like sounds

HollyL

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
My approximately 18 wk old White Rock is making a constant duck-like sound. It seems like is has something to do with her breathing. She is eating and drinking fine, so much as I can tell. When she does drink, she is still making this weird sound. When we left home earlier today, she was in the nesting box so we thought she was working on laying an egg, but when we came home she was out of the nesting box making this duck-like sound.

Does anyone have any ideas?

We used to have a barred rock who "honked" all the time. She honked more than she clucked. I haven't noticed it with our new BR but the buff orp is another honker.

Could it just be that her "voice" is changing?

Does she seem to be gasping for air? If yes, i would try to get a look down he throat and see if you see anything blocking her air supply - or signs of gapeworm.

yeah..she could have something in her throat irritating it..
when I first got one of my hens..she ate like a little piggy, and would make that honking that sound..
but I couldn't find anything wrong with her..
I think it was where she was from she didn't get enough to eat..too much competition..and when she same here, she was anxious and stressed, and practically inhaled her food..
it passed after a few days..

but do check her throat..give her some plain yogurt..
gape worms are red..
also check for any yellowish or whitish sores or lesions or plaque.
check her crop..make sure it is emptying.
describe the droppings..color and consistency

maybe some VetRX..or Oxine might help..
info about Oxine and respiratory fungal illness:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

another source for Oxine is:

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=294

I will try looking down her throat.

She has been fine up until yesterday when we left the house. She was sitting in a nesting box, pulling hay in around her, setting on a plastic egg. When we returned a couple of hours later, she was walking around with the rest of the hens, eating and drinking water. We let them out to free range and she was making this constant honking or duck-like sound.

As far as her poop, I saw her go while she was on the roosting pole last night and it was a little loose (not formed) and a greenish-brown color. I don't know if that is normal for her or not. We have 14 birds all together. We see a lot of the same as well as well formed white and brown/black.

What will feeding her yogurt do?

Thanks for any assistance.

We love our girls!! 2 Buff O hens, 1 Buff Rock, 1 RIR, 1 Araucana, 1 Black Star, 3 Red Star, 1 White Leghorn, 1 White Rock, 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 Buff O Roo.

Back
Top Bottom