My whole flock has this problem, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fahad, Jun 18, 2019.

1. fahad

fahad Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Karachi, Pakistan
    20190616_161248.jpg
    Hello all,

All my flock you has this issue, this one has the worst symptoms, their comb is full of dark patches, like wounds.

Their eyes also have developed swelling.

Please let me know what to do. Can this be due to extreme heat? We had a severe heat wave the last couple of weeks in Karachi, Pakistan.

Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost appears as if they have fowl pox. Are mosquitoes a problem there ?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With fowl pox lesions, you should not disturb the scabs. They will dry up and fall off, and those scabs can spread the disease to other chickens. Fowl pox virus usually lasts about 3 weeks, and it may spread slowly throughout your flock over several months. Usually, they will recover and be immune to the disease later. But watch out for any who are especially sick, and look inside their beaks for any yellow sores or lesions. That is called wet pox and is more deadly, since the lesions are painful and they may not eat.

Since the eyes may be scabbed, it may affect their ability to find their food and water. Antibiotic ointment put in the eyes may be helpful to prevent bacterial infection. Here is some info:
    https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox

http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/fowl-pox/

4. fahad

fahad Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Thank you guys for your quick reply, I'll get to treating them now.

We do have a lot of mosquitoes here in Karachi.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: