My Wife calls me the chicken farme

Chris2915

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2020
Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’m raising chickens for the first time since I was a kid. When I was a kid 45-50 years ago it was meat birds. Now I’m raising layers. Got them at the local feed store in April/May.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I’ve got 13 hens and 1 rooster. My 5 year old granddaughter named the rooster Dottie because he came in a batch of pullets, and we’ll, it was a surprise. He follows her around like a puppy dog. He is an Easter Egger.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I’m raising a few of a number of breeds/sex links to see which ones I like. 2 New Hampshire Reds (they are quiet, docile, lap chickens, lay 4-5 eggs wk., mother the other hens), 2 “Asian Blacks” (both lay 5-6 eggs a week. One looks like a small black Jersey giant and the other like a copper cuckoo Marans), 2 golden comets (lay 5-6 eggs week, docile but a little flighty), 2 cinnamon queens (lay 5-6 eggs week, pretty birds, big appetites), 2 buff Orpingtons (barnyard bullies, don’t get between them and food, peck at me all the time, maybe 3 eggs wk, one is getting broody), 2 Easter eggers (just started laying green eggs, wanderers, like to hide in neighbors garages, neighbors complain they steal cat food and bully neighborhood cats), 1 bantam golden sebright (comedian, loves to perch on top of garage or house, laying 3-4 small white eggs wk.)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I am a hospice nurse and It’s relaxing to deal with life after long days of dealing with death.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I am a gardener and I love to be out in the woods.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Married about 28 years with 4 grown kids and 2 grandkids. I’m a hospice nurse and ordained minister. Had a stroke and heart surgery in the last 16 months that is forcing me to find a slower pace to life.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found the community while learning about raising hens.

Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’m raising chickens for the first time since I was a kid. When I was a kid 45-50 years ago it was meat birds. Now I’m raising layers. Got them at the local feed store in April/May.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I’ve got 13 hens and 1 rooster. My 5 year old granddaughter named the rooster Dottie because he came in a batch of pullets, and we’ll, it was a surprise. He follows her around like a puppy dog. He is an Easter Egger.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I’m raising a few of a number of breeds/sex links to see which ones I like. 2 New Hampshire Reds (they are quiet, docile, lap chickens, lay 4-5 eggs wk., mother the other hens), 2 “Asian Blacks” (both lay 5-6 eggs a week. One looks like a small black Jersey giant and the other like a copper cuckoo Marans), 2 golden comets (lay 5-6 eggs week, docile but a little flighty), 2 cinnamon queens (lay 5-6 eggs week, pretty birds, big appetites), 2 buff Orpingtons (barnyard bullies, don’t get between them and food, peck at me all the time, maybe 3 eggs wk, one is getting broody), 2 Easter eggers (just started laying green eggs, wanderers, like to hide in neighbors garages, neighbors complain they steal cat food and bully neighborhood cats), 1 bantam golden sebright (comedian, loves to perch on top of garage or house, laying 3-4 small white eggs wk.)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I am a hospice nurse and It’s relaxing to deal with life after long days of dealing with death.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I am a gardener and I love to be out in the woods.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Married about 28 years with 4 grown kids and 2 grandkids. I’m a hospice nurse and ordained minister. Had a stroke and heart surgery in the last 16 months that is forcing me to find a slower pace to life.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found the community while learning about raising hens.

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom