My wife got eggs from the store

digitS' :

A.J.'s :

. . . Am I the starange one here or has that occured to anyone on this site? that the eggs came from filth...could be infected with something nasty?????? are not clean? or are they clean inside...

When I was a kid and in my first year of college, I was doing farm work thru the Fall for a neighbor. He had a couple hundred acres of land he needed sprinklers changed on but his living was made from his commercial chicken operation.

One day, one of the chicken help quit and the neighbor thought he could get me to do "chicken chores" after I'd moved pipes. Have you ever been in a commercial layer house :mad:!!

It was a nightmare . . . "nasty?????? " Oh, that would be a charitable way to discribe it. I was done and I mean DONE after that one day!

Steve​

That was a great learning experience. We should ALL spend time in a commercial chicken house for one day.​

I'm also one that can not taste the difference. My hens eggs are definitely a deeper orange color, and they look a lot different (better - in my mind!) than store bought, but I can not taste the difference.

Now my uncle gave my parents some eggs from his chickens and when were visiting we ate them one time - I could definitely taste the difference between store bought and his. I did not really care for his hen's eggs. They had a rather strong taste. I figure it must be a difference in how he feeds his and how I feed mine? I'll have to ask him sometime. Mine free range, and his don't. Maybe that's why?

Penny

Quote:
Many of the small breakfast houses aound here buys eggs from my grand daughters. (Their college money.) While eating at one the other morning a group from San Francisco stopped to have breakfast there. Those that had eggs all wanted to know, what they did to the eggs to make them taste the way they do. All the waitress would tell them, now you have had a fresh egg. They said they had all had fresh eggs before, you can buy them at Safeway. When the ole lady next to them stopped laughing, she said a fresh egg from the store is 4 weeks old. These are fresh eggs, was inside the chicken two hours ago probably. Actually they were day old eggs.

Quote:
I wonder if you rolled into Denny's or IHOP with a handful of your own eggs and asked the cook to make THOSE... would they do it or would they just think you were crazy?
lol.png

A friend took care of my animals a few weeks ago while I was away and I told her to take home any eggs she collected. At that time I was getting between 2 and 2 1/2 dozen per day. Last week she called me to ask if I had eggs for sale because they ran out and WERE NOW SPOILED and did not want to buy supermarket eggs after eating mine!!!
I'll be getting her 6 chickens of her own in the spring!
lol.png

(She doesn't know how addicting they are yet!)

I can't tell the difference in taste, but I know when I used to eat store eggs they made me sick to my stomach.
sickbyc.gif
I sold a dozen to a lady I know and she said she could taste the difference.
idunno.gif

My eggs don't do that so I can eat them again.

Funny thing, my son ask me today if we could stop buying eggs from the store and eat our hens eggs. I had to tell him, honey we've been eating our eggs for 2 months now.

Quote:
I wonder if you rolled into Denny's or IHOP with a handful of your own eggs and asked the cook to make THOSE... would they do it or would they just think you were crazy?
lol.png

I have always wondered that myself!!! I will get pancakes or waffles, but never 'those" eggs. I had to buy some tonight, but I won't be eating them. My daughters preschool teacher assigned me to bring 2 dozen eggs thinking that I would have no problems...happens to be that my girls have been on strike for 3 weeks! I would have really liked to have taken my eggs for everyone to try...
wink.png

Quote:
Quote:
We did the same thing we cooked some store bought and some of ours and everyone said they couldn't really taste a great differance but that our eggs had firmer whites and the yokes were deeper yellow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom