My wife got eggs from the store

AFter a terrible thing happened in our family I got rid of my chickens. We did have to eat, or we would not have and eggs are relatively easy to fix, for months we ate eggs often and one day I became aware that the eggs just would not work anymore. I could not stand a store bought egg, the smell/taste in my mouth would make me aware that I was eating and since I had to do that, I had to have chickens again.
OH can I ask here???? I have a neighbor who is just nasty. Her chickens live in squallor and filth. She is an old timer woman who grew up back woods and actually thinks the chickens can live on poop and slop and whatever she can find to feed them. truly.. her pen is the nastiest thing Ive ever seen and their "house" is feet deep in concrete like poop.
I will not eat her eggs and I wonder if anyone else thinks as I do that the eggs can not be clean and good to eat.
She sells her eggs about town and the customers do not know that those lovely eggs came from filth.
to me its like buying food from a stranger and not knowing how and where that food was prepared.
Am I the starange one here or has that occured to anyone on this site? that the eggs came from filth...could be infected with something nasty?????? are not clean? or are they clean inside...

We did an informal blind taste test on a store bought egg versus one of my free-range eggs from my own chickens. Of 4 "tasters" no one thought the flavor was different, but there was a noticeable difference in the richness and creaminess of the free-range egg from my chickens. Of course, the visible difference was huge (deep orange colored yolk etc., but we were doing a taste test.

I also know my eggs are healthier than store bought eggs. I don't every worry about getting salmonella or any of those sicknesses when I eat my home eggs. Now storebought eggs I am afraid of...

If I have to buy store bought eggs I only buy Egglands Best free range brown eggs/organic whatever it says on the box. They are the only ones that have a yolk even close to my orange ones. And they don't taste too bad when you haven't eaten any for a few days before.

I cannot tell the difference! I can SEE the difference. Like one other poster said...The yolks of my eggs are orangy to the point of orangy red. verses the pale yellow of store bought. But I can not tell the difference in taste. My children will always choose one of our eggs over a store bought. Right now I'm getting 2 - 4 eggs a day which doesn't support us egg wise. So we have to buy eggs. But I'll put our eggs in with the store bought eggs...ours always go first. So I guess it depends on the taste buds of the person eating them. My girls definitely prefer our eggs.

Last edited:
Another disadvantage to storebought eggs is that they are typically washed in a chemical solution to clean the shells. My SIL swears she can smell and taste the chemical in those eggs.
Mine home-grown eggs, on the other hand are NOT washed at in anything other than water, if at all, so no worries about yukky chemicals.

I don't ever want to eat store bought eggs again!!
sickbyc.gif

We did the taste test here to. The store bought ones were yuck!!!!!! My DH said the store bought ones tasted like chemicals. I thought so too. We dont eat store bought eggs.

A.J.'s :

. . . Am I the starange one here or has that occured to anyone on this site? that the eggs came from filth...could be infected with something nasty?????? are not clean? or are they clean inside...

When I was a kid and in my first year of college, I was doing farm work thru the Fall for a neighbor. He had a couple hundred acres of land he needed sprinklers changed on but his living was made from his commercial chicken operation.

One day, one of the chicken help quit and the neighbor thought he could get me to do "chicken chores" after I'd moved pipes. Have you ever been in a commercial layer house :mad:!!

It was a nightmare . . . "nasty?????? " Oh, that would be a charitable way to discribe it. I was done and I mean DONE after that one day!

Steve​

Yes, I can tell...don't think anyone else in the famiily can, though.

Because our son is disabled (autistic), he gets WIC, so we get 2 doz yucky white eggs every month. I try to use them in cooking things, not by themselves. They are so gross
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom