My wife's Inheritance, my new hobby, Game Chickens

Just make sure the eye is really injured and not infected. That could be a sign of respiratory disease which would make your chickens carriers. Not to be a downer, but you wouldn't want to keep infected birds and breed them. You can look up pictures of chickens with respiratory disease.
I have been watching his eye close and I am sure it has been injured now. He now only has one eye, but seems to be healing well and gets around fine, so he should be fine.

I tried to make sure I got as much genetic diversity that was possible. He knew what he needed to do to keep the line strong by making specific crosses, so by getting two of his "renewing" crossed birds to breed back in, I should be able to keep a wide range of genetic diversity with the fewest amount of birds, for a few generations. Plus, my wife's uncle got some too, so I can switch birds with him every so often to add a few more blood lines into the mix.

centrachid, What kind of birds did you inherit?
Similar to yours, American Games. Mine are not as pretty color wise. I do have advantage of growing up around them and having some training with them before dad and grandfather passed away. Having backups is very wise. In reality I am backup to my brother in another state that has bulk of birds and resources. I am starting basically from scratch with respect to land and everything directly related to their keeping. We may have to compare notes. I am three years into process of organizing lines. One more generation and trial matings will be made to set lines.

Back
Top Bottom