My wife's Inheritance, my new hobby, Game Chickens

hgillins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 23, 2013
Northern Utah
When my wife's great grandpa passed away a few weeks ago, at the age of 97, he left us some of his most prized possessions, his chickens. He has bred and raised this line for over 85 years and have become very well know around the world for his line, well, at least that is what I am told. I only got to meet the man a few times before he died and didn't get to learn as much as I would have liked to about these chickens. He knew his chickens so well that he could tell you the blood line of each chicken he had and what would result if any of them were to cross. It amazed me how he never gave up on what he loved and had spent half of the day he died taking care of his chickens.

As I said I don't know very much about these chickens so any info you could give me would be great. We got four birds in all (didn't have a place for them at the time but do now), one full grown rooster, one cockerial, one hen and a pullet. The older two I am told are crosses between his signature birds (a form of "Greys") and "Reds" to increase genetic diversity and should have all signature offspring. The other two are "Greys" and are his signature birds, just too young to see their full potential.

Here are the older two "Greys" x "Reds" cross

The two smaller ones, Pure "Greys," the smallest, darker one, being the very young rooster.

The little male had an injured eye when I got him and don't know what happened or if it will heal. You can kind of see it in the next picture.

I would like to know about how old they are, if possible, so I can guess when I will get eggs and need to separate the two roosters. Currently they are all together, and seem to get along fine. Guessing the oldest hen isn't laying due to new environment and will shortly start laying.

As I said before any info would be helpful and very welcome. I have had cochins in the past but felt this might be an entirely different experience.

Thanks for the reply. I am new to BYC and keep getting told to post in different spots. Haha. I will find the rights spot sooner or later.

Yeah, it can be confusing. We usually tell folks to start their own thread, like you did, but with such a specialized bird I just thought those folks might be able to help. If they were your run-of-the-mill farm chickens, you would have been right on!

welcome-byc.gif

Just make sure the eye is really injured and not infected. That could be a sign of respiratory disease which would make your chickens carriers. Not to be a downer, but you wouldn't want to keep infected birds and breed them. You can look up pictures of chickens with respiratory disease.

It doesn't look like any of the respiratory disases that I can find photos of, I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.

hgillens,

I am in a similar boat with my birds also handed down. Selection regime they were under for a very long time I will not be able to replicate and the population size I can maintain will make preserving the strains unique genetic character very difficult to preserve.

I tried to make sure I got as much genetic diversity that was possible. He knew what he needed to do to keep the line strong by making specific crosses, so by getting two of his "renewing" crossed birds to breed back in, I should be able to keep a wide range of genetic diversity with the fewest amount of birds, for a few generations. Plus, my wife's uncle got some too, so I can switch birds with him every so often to add a few more blood lines into the mix.

centrachid, What kind of birds did you inherit?

Back
Top Bottom