My winter plan? Is it good?

Dan nich

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I’m going to use sheet plastic inside and mixed straw and pine shaving inside my chicken coops I live in western Kentucky and it gets chilly 29-32 normally the coldest I really don’t wanna use heat lamps!
I have black astralorps,silver Wyandotte’s,buff orphington, and cuckoo marans I also have 2 GC. So I think winter isn’t a issue for these breeds

Your plan is great. Put some hay or straw on the ground in the run so the chickens don't have to step on cold dirt. And yea the plastic over the fenced-in chicken wire places will block wind and snow. Keep it dry and you'll be just fine.

I’m going to use sheet plastic inside and mixed straw and pine shaving inside my chicken coops I live in western Kentucky and it gets chilly 29-32 normally the coldest I really don’t wanna use heat lamps!
I have black astralorps,silver Wyandotte’s,buff orphington, and cuckoo marans I also have 2 GC. So I think winter isn’t a issue for these breeds
I'd be concerned about plastic inside the coop. The chickens will peck and tear at it. Can you put it on the outside?
You absolutely need no supplemental heat with those temps.

I’m going to use sheet plastic inside
You probably don't need the plastic, unless you have a fully open air coop.

With those temps, all you need to do is keep them dry.

If you have any roofed run, putting a roof on part of the run is very helpful. But a roof should be slanted to easily shed rain or snow.

Your plan is great. Put some hay or straw on the ground in the run so the chickens don't have to step on cold dirt. And yea the plastic over the fenced-in chicken wire places will block wind and snow. Keep it dry and you'll be just fine.
Thought about that but didn’t like the way it may look but safety more important

Back
Top Bottom