My yearly winter reminder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xke4, Dec 15, 2010.

1. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    For those of you with snow, when it comes time to clean out the coop simply spread a tarp at the door draped over the sill and shovel. The tarp can then be used as a very lightweight toboggan to take the shavings wherever you choose. Wheelbarrows are useless here.

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    thanks, that is a good idea. I use a sled here, one of those cheap plastic toboggan like things. But my coop is bigger this year so that may not work as good as a tarp.

dont you just hate it when you shovel the run and they all huddle inside anyway! (yes I know I am crazy)

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm not in snow country, but I use tarps all the time for hauling shavings, leaves, dirt, etc. They are great because they are flexible enough to go throught gates and brush where a wheelbarrow won't.

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    The big plastic wading pools are good, too, especially if you have one that is cracked and can't be used for wading. Just poke a couple of holes in one side and tie some hay string or something to pull it with. Holds a lot of leaves or shavings!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I DO have one of those, that's a great idea! Thanks!

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We're supposed to clean out our coops?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I shovel out in the spring. That's a good idea for people that don't do deep litter, though.

9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I was thinking today, after we got 6 inches of new snow on the ground. My idea was to put a big tarp down right outside the coop/run door. Lay it down on the grass before a snow fall. After the snow has stopped, haul the snow away to another area of the yard. Then the hens have a small area to roam on. Ours have a pretty big run, but for those that might not, this may be an something to do. Mine don't like the walk around in the snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by