My Young Roo is forcing hens! Will he ever change?

BayouPoules

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Lacombe, Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
I have a month old free range roo that has just started his dance routine. Up until now he was pretty timid with the older hens ( who squat for me) and not too bossy with the pullets his own age and very easy going with the young ones. He is the only roo. Easy to hold once you catch him and never aggressive to us. We've had aggressive roos that went to freezer camp,. but Rembrandt is our really nice SQ Barnevelder that we hatched and raised for breeding.

Problem is he is forcing himself on every hen even though they don't want to submit. He wont give them a minutes peace. mounting and fighting with them to hold them down and sneaking up on them when they are eating.

He is now in a brooder turn jail house just so the hens can eat.

I have read of the Gentlemen type roo that brings his hens treats and is gentle with his girls. I've never had the pleasure of meeting one.

Question,. If you have or had a nice roo,...were they like that from the beginning or did they grow into it?
Were any like mine then settled down?
Will my guy settle down as he ages or get worse.
Will jailing him make him more aggressive or humble him.

Last edited:
Every cockerel goes through the testosterone-poisoned stage. My wonderful roo was just as much a horn-dog as any other when he was young. Every morning it would start when he came out of the coop first, then "tagged" every pullet he could get as she came out the door. He got about every third, as some of the girls would make it past him whilst he was otherwise occupied.

He went on like that all day, whether the ladies wanted any or not.

But they mature. Hopefully, since yours does do a wing dance, he's got it in him to turn into a gentleman. Give him time.

My Carl does all the good stuff: calls the ladies for goodies (but sometimes fakes 'em out with nothing more than a small stick or a pretty rock, then jumps 'em when they come over) and lets them eat first, performs the Rooster Drop Wing, Circle Dance of Love, often won't mount a hen that says no (there are plenty of wiling participant hussy hens to go find), and all the endearing things.

But it was a few months of gradually decreasing nasty, horny, wimmin chasin' behavior, first.

Last edited:
Yup, my cockerels will mount anything that moves when they first come "of age." So far, they have all calmed down with a little age.

I have a young cockerel, will be 4 months old in a couple of days - that happens to be my favorite.

I haven't told anyone this yet, but the boy has fallen "in love" with my left hand; requiring me to keep my left hand out of his reach at all times.

I mean seriously??? All these hens running around and the best he can do is a human hand????
smack.gif

Quote:
Uhhh, better than what happened to BrattishTaz. <*snort*>

Ok,.. that's weird gritstar,..
but now I have to know,.. what happened to BrattishTaz???

I let him out of jail and he ran at the first thing moving and started to dance,.. it was my 9 week old BR roo,.. who was not impressed,..
then on to a very hot and dusty hen who he chased around the yard until he caught her and forced her with her screaming all the while,. it was awful,.. he's back in time out,..

Chicken.Lytle :

My rooster was rough at first but learned how to be a better lover fairly quickly.

Thanks for the encouragement,.. I have never had a rooster older than 6 months because we culled for SOP and temperament,.. he's the first we wanted for breeding,.. well,.. I guess he's trying to do his job,.. I'll wait and see. I hate seeing my hens going through that.

I think I will make a cheesecake and then ask DH to make some bachelor quarters for the time being.

I'm still trying to find out what happened to BrattishTaz...​

Quote:
Uhhh, better than what happened to BrattishTaz. <*snort*>

Ok,.. that's weird gritstar,..
but now I have to know,.. what happened to BrattishTaz???

I let him out of jail and he ran at the first thing moving and started to dance,.. it was my 9 week old BR roo,.. who was not impressed,..
then on to a very hot and dusty hen who he chased around the yard until he caught her and forced her with her screaming all the while,. it was awful,.. he's back in time out,..

Not as weird as the BYC member whose cockerel fell in love with an empty dishsoap bottle.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom