Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection

What do any of you know about vaccines? I have been trying to research this with a "mixed age" of chickens. Is it safe to introduce new stock to ones that have been tested positive with MG if you know the new ones don't have MG and they have been vaccinated? I've learned that in most states NPIP does not insure MG free birds and that even purchasing from reputable breeders does not insure MG free......I am simply wondering how....beyond biosecurity......can I protect my MG free birds?

What do any of you know about vaccines? I have been trying to research this with a "mixed age" of chickens. Is it safe to introduce new stock to ones that have been tested positive with MG if you know the new ones don't have MG and they have been vaccinated? I've learned that in most states NPIP does not insure MG free birds and that even purchasing from reputable breeders does not insure MG free......I am simply wondering how....beyond biosecurity......can I protect my MG free birds?

This link should answer your questions, please read all of it:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Thanks for the article!! I have been reading so much trying to become more educated on MG but just like with most research I have seen a bunch that is pretty old. My biggest concern was one article that stated that nearly 99% of birds in the country are carriers!

Ok. So it appears from the article that the newer versions of the live vaccine are most effective however it sounds like they reduce the risk but do not eliminate the ability for a bird to contract the disease....much like the flu vaccine in humans. It did not say if there is a need for ongoing vaccination or if single dosage is adequate. Thoughts?

Thanks for the article!! I have been reading so much trying to become more educated on MG but just like with most research I have seen a bunch that is pretty old. My biggest concern was one article that stated that nearly 99% of birds in the country are carriers!

Ok. So it appears from the article that the newer versions of the live vaccine are most effective however it sounds like they reduce the risk but do not eliminate the ability for a bird to contract the disease....much like the flu vaccine in humans. It did not say if there is a need for ongoing vaccination or if single dosage is adequate. Thoughts?

It appears that birds can be revaccinated, even against a different strain. However, it depends what strain the already vaccinated birds have had. As you know, there are many strains and most likely would require alot of lab work to see what works best against the many different strains. I dont know if they have a "shotgun" vaccination. Even then, there are still more strains to take into account I imagine.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/poult...ts-noted-after-mycoplasma-vaccination-of-hens

Last edited:
The strains most promonate here are G and S so was hoping to start there......the question is: is there a NEED to re-vaccinate IE annually for G or every 6 months for G? I am currently having my flock tested for both as a neighbor has had an issue and I have some birds that I really HATE to have to cull with the genetics I have worked to acquire but do not wish to spread the disease either......was thinking if I could vaccinate healthy and work to get some negative chicks from my flock then cull and continue with 100% vaccination. Also my children intend on showing in 4-H and there is NO guarantee the pen next to us is negative. So once I do get 100% negative it could be nearly impossible to stay that way if vaccine isn't 100% effective.

PS UC Davis will test for a VERY reasonable amount. Less than $4/bird/strain.

The strains most promonate here are G and S so was hoping to start there......the question is: is there a NEED to re-vaccinate IE annually for G or every 6 months for G? I am currently having my flock tested for both as a neighbor has had an issue and I have some birds that I really HATE to have to cull with the genetics I have worked to acquire but do not wish to spread the disease either......was thinking if I could vaccinate healthy and work to get some negative chicks from my flock then cull and continue with 100% vaccination. Also my children intend on showing in 4-H and there is NO guarantee the pen next to us is negative. So once I do get 100% negative it could be nearly impossible to stay that way if vaccine isn't 100% effective.

PS UC Davis will test for a VERY reasonable amount. Less than $4/bird/strain.
Where are u located? It would be great if I could get my birds tested that cheap. Anyway, I'm one of those nuerotic people. My hens are vacinnated along with the new pullets.However, I was never told I had to go back with a live vaccine, I'm kinda afraid of them although I know they are making huge progress on them. I have now been told that it is a waste of money, although I don't know how vaccinating anyting would be a waste. I've no adverse reactions even on my older hens.

Where are u located? It would be great if I could get my birds tested that cheap. Anyway, I'm one of those nuerotic people. My hens are vacinnated along with the new pullets.However, I was never told I had to go back with a live vaccine, I'm kinda afraid of them although I know they are making huge progress on them. I have now been told that it is a waste of money, although I don't know how vaccinating anyting would be a waste. I've no adverse reactions even on my older hens.

Do you revaccinate or only do it once?

Here is the web site for UC Davis. You can be anywhere in the USA to do it. The ELISA test is the one recommended. The prices are not current but you purchase the red top tubes from your local supply store and do your own blood draw. You then send it cooled but not frozen via UPS or Fed Ex....3 days or less. You can have multiple tests done. I used them for years for DNA etc. for horses.....first time using for poultry. MUCH cheaper than using the local vet for simple tests.....although I do recommend the vet for most things!

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/local-assets/pdfs/fee lists/Poultry_fee_list_2013.pdf

Do you revaccinate or only do it once?

Here is the web site for UC Davis. You can be anywhere in the USA to do it. The ELISA test is the one recommended. The prices are not current but you purchase the red top tubes from your local supply store and do your own blood draw. You then send it cooled but not frozen via UPS or Fed Ex....3 days or less. You can have multiple tests done. I used them for years for DNA etc. for horses.....first time using for poultry. MUCH cheaper than using the local vet for simple tests.....although I do recommend the vet for most things!

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/local-assets/pdfs/fee lists/Poultry_fee_list_2013.pdf
Thank you for the info on UC Davis. I have only vaccinated once, but was planning on starting a yearly program and than was told it was a waste. I have so much anxiety over my birds so I'm researching now, just like u. I would cull if I found out I had a carrier,mostly so it won't contaminate a wild bird that goes down the rd and gives it to someone else's flock. My chickens are just for me, and I do sell extra eggs or give them to the poor or to food giveaways. I do hatch chicks, but use the brooder hen and select the eggs I want hatched. Until, the bad freezing weather we just had I;ve had 90 to 100% hatch rate. and keep all my birds. The poor roos find themselves in the freezer, although I have to have the neighbor do the actual killing, because hubby and I can't bring ourselves to do it,Weird, because I can dress them out and eat them. But I make sure I don't get to know them or make pets outof them like I do my girls, or a replacement roo.

Thank you for the info on UC Davis. I have only vaccinated once, but was planning on starting a yearly program and than was told it was a waste. I have so much anxiety over my birds so I'm researching now, just like u. I would cull if I found out I had a carrier,mostly so it won't contaminate a wild bird that goes down the rd and gives it to someone else's flock. My chickens are just for me, and I do sell extra eggs or give them to the poor or to food giveaways. I do hatch chicks, but use the brooder hen and select the eggs I want hatched. Until, the bad freezing weather we just had I;ve had 90 to 100% hatch rate. and keep all my birds. The poor roos find themselves in the freezer, although I have to have the neighbor do the actual killing, because hubby and I can't bring ourselves to do it,Weird, because I can dress them out and eat them. But I make sure I don't get to know them or make pets outof them like I do my girls, or a replacement roo.

What amazed me was that NPIP does not necessarily mean no MG as most states don't require MG testing to be NPIP certified. There are TONS of diseases that are not ever tested for and that I read 99% of chickens have MG....really hoping that article is inaccurate! So when my kids go to show in 4-H our best birds will most likely be exposed. How do we protect against that? And are we going to cull every time. That is why I'm wanting more info on vaccines and proper usage of vaccines. Hence the questions about how often and what strain are best.

What amazed me was that NPIP does not necessarily mean no MG as most states don't require MG testing to be NPIP certified. There are TONS of diseases that are not ever tested for and that I read 99% of chickens have MG....really hoping that article is inaccurate! So when my kids go to show in 4-H our best birds will most likely be exposed. How do we protect against that? And are we going to cull every time. That is why I'm wanting more info on vaccines and proper usage of vaccines. Hence the questions about how often and what strain are best.
Call your State lab and speak with an avian pathologist, they'll probably have a better idea.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom