mycoplasma? hen with swollen ears...

CascadiaRiver

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I've done some light reading on MG... extremely saddened. Our ladies are getting old now, we've been losing some here and there this year (unfortunate timing with a lot of other awful things happening) from different causes, and after everything seemed to have settled down... one of our younger hens (2-3ish years?) has swollen ears... I assume this can be nothing else besides MG? We have a flock of 10. We have Tylan I believe, whats the dosage? Can I still show/sell/breed my pigeons? Does this affect quail? How much does a necropsy cost in WA state? I am so unbelievably heartbroken and discouraged... her only symptom is a slightly swelled face (so SO faint) and swollen ears which has developed overnight.

Could you post any pictures? Have you noticed any respiratory symptoms, such as watery eye or bubbles in eyes, sneeze, noisy breathing, or nasal drainage? Do you see any signs of a tick bite or pecking?

Could you post any pictures? Have you noticed any respiratory symptoms, such as watery eye or bubbles in eyes, sneeze, noisy breathing, or nasal drainage? Do you see any signs of a tick bite or pecking?
I don't think we have ticks here, I've never seen them or had any animals affected by them. She's usually a little pecked cause she's really near the bottom of the pecking order (second only to a silkie) so she generally gets shoved around, occasionally pecked or picked on. But nothing serious, never like bleeding or broken anything or injuries.

The bird in question Ducky hasn't had any of those symptoms. Can chickens just get ear infections? My mother pushed on the ear a little bit, said that it felt like something may come out of it although she didn't squish anything out when she first saw the swelled ears today.

ducky2.jpg ducky.jpg

MG doesn’t normally cause ear infections. Chickens can get ear infections most likely from rain or somehow getting water in their ear canal. They can get ear infections like us, yes, but it’s not caused by MG I do not believe.

MG doesn’t normally cause ear infections. Chickens can get ear infections most likely from rain or somehow getting water in their ear canal. They can get ear infections like us, yes, but it’s not caused by MG I do not believe.
I saw on threads when searching swelled ears a lot of the conclusions were MG. If it's an ear infection, how can I help her best? Warm compresses..? It's been a long time (knock on wood) since I've had an ear infection so I'm a bit rusty

Well mom took me out there and I held the bird, she went in with some qtips and hydrogen peroxide and got a chunk out of one ear and put some medication into one ear. She said one ear seemed like it was more soft and a little more liquidy but the other (bigger ear) that had the chunk in it, was thick and chunky inside? if that makes any sense at all. this is the chunk I guess I'll update on how she's doing tomorrow?

Attachments

• ear.jpg
    ear.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom