Mycoplasma Mycoplasmosis MG MS (How bad is it??)

I had that happen with my flock. I had one tested and it was positive for MG. Now my flock is closed. No ones allowed to come here without spraying off thier shoes, washing thier hands before and after leaving. I carry a spray bottle of Oxine in my vehicles if Im going to get feed and have dedicated shoes for that and ones for just the barn. I disinfect thier buckets once a week with Oxine or bleach.
Good for you. I'm glad you practice biosecurity with an infected flock. I think you're the first person I've read that practices it.

It can be bred out but it takes time.
You'd need to cull sick birds immediately moving forward to start the process of getting it out if your flock.
How do you "breed out" an infectious disease such as MG? Everything I've read recommends culling, then repopulating later. I read equineli's post about possibly "breeding out" with Denagard. But like any other antibiotic, it simply masks symptoms and does not cure the disease. This is why Denagard must be given to birds on a monthly basis for life.

How do you "breed out" an infectious disease such as MG? Everything I've read recommends culling, then repopulating later. I read equineli's post about possibly "breeding out" with Denagard. But like any other antibiotic, it simply masks symptoms and does not cure the disease. This is why Denagard must be given to birds on a monthly basis for life.
Well I'm not quite sure but I do know someone, Who happens to be an active member here but I don't want to call them out, that had birds who tested positive for MS.
Those couple of birds were culled immediately.
And the next couple of birds that showed signs of MS were also culled immediately.

The rest of the flock however was not culled and after a whike, with state lab testing, the MS disappeared from the flock.

I guess my point is the whole flock doesn't have to be culled, if they're not all showing symptoms, in order to rid MS from your flock.

Now this was MS she was dealing with not MG.

Should one of these two things ever hit my flock .... I would not treat with antibiotics of any kind I would culll immediately.

@dawg53 I'll show the person, who I'm talking about, this post and if they want to share their experience on how they got it out of their flock they can share details.
I am positive they rid symptomatic birds immediately and I'm also positive that not all birds were culled and the flock is blood tested with no more MS.
It took time and money but it was done... Once that I know of.

Money for continued tested... Not medicines.

Welcome, and I'm so sorry!
I would cry a lot, and cull, and start over. It would NOT be easy!
I tested my flock a few years ago, all negative, and I hope it stays that way.
Good biosecurity, good luck, and no near neighbors with 'random source' flocks.
Having to treat with antibiotics to keep contagious birds sort of feeling good isn't something I'd want to do here.
Mary

It can be bred out but it takes time.
You'd need to cull sick birds immediately moving forward to start the process of getting it out if your flock.

Yea, most were never sick- no symptoms.

They are coming out to test tomorrow. They said I would have results before X-mas, then I can re-arrange for quarantined "clean and dirty flock" areas. Then once that is approved I can get the MG clean ones tested for NPIP.

I was warned though that I've been flagged so they will always require more testing from mine.

In the meantime, finding "MG-free" chickens is next to impossible; it's way too easy for them to get it from mites or wild turkeys, etc. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom