Mycoplasma question

WanderingWarbler

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
Ok, so my flock has a mycoplasma. 3 chickens with swollen eyes, the rest no symptoms. Gave a tetracycline antibiotic, per our vet, and all seem to be doing better expect the 3 hens with swollen eyes. Does anyone have experience with mycoplasmas? How often will it come back? Will it come back this bad?

Should I cull all of them?

No, don't cull them. You can get Denagard to add to their water. We use it about every four to six weeks, sometimes we even go a bit longer. It is a good preventative. There is no resistance development. It is very bitter, so we mix our stock solution per the instructions, then mix the stock solution with about a cup and a half of apple or white grape juice, and about 1/4 cup Karo syrup per gallon of water. They will drink it that way, and it works. Also it lasts a long time. We get ours at www.firststatevetsupply.com.

No, don't cull them. You can get Denagard to add to their water. We use it about every four to six weeks, sometimes we even go a bit longer. It is a good preventative. There is no resistance development. It is very bitter, so we mix our stock solution per the instructions, then mix the stock solution with about a cup and a half of apple or white grape juice, and about 1/4 cup Karo syrup per gallon. They will drink it that way, and it works. Also it lasts a long time.

what is the point in this? They already have it, there's no preventing it?

If they are no longer showing symptoms, the Denagard will keep it that way. Do whatever you like, it's just a suggestion. We use it as a preventative for our flock. We've used it as a treatment for birds that we've had in the past.We haven't had any birds showing anysymptoms of Mycoplasma for years.

If they are no longer showing symptoms, the Denagard will keep it that way. Do whatever you like, it's just a suggestion. We use it as a preventative for our flock. We've used it as a treatment for birds that we've had in the past.

Mycoplasma stays with your flock forever.

LOL it's not a theory, it's a fact. Please do not respond to my post again, because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.
Yeah, I think I know what I'm talking about when we've had a healthy poultry flock for the past 16 years. Your asked for people's opinions, that was my suggestion. Obviously, there's no reason for you to be rude. What you are doing is called trolling. Go back to asking your vet. You shouldn't have gotten mycoplasma to begin with, if you knew what you what you were doing.

I had a respiratory diesase go through my flock (5 years ago) and based on a test from my vet it was most likely Mycoplasma. I treated all of the sick birds with an antibiotic the vet prescribed. I have one hen that continues to have a raspy sound to her breathing, but the remainder of my flock shows no signs of the diesase. I even add new birds and they never show symptoms.

My chickens are pets so culling was not an option. In my experience, after they showed symptoms and recovered the disease is basically non existent in my flock. At first, I was afraid I was going to have a flock that was sick all ofthe time or frequently had relapses, but that has not been the case.I do however, consider them all carriers and do not let any birds leave my property.

Terramycin eye ointment does an excellent job on clearing up swollen eyes.

I fear 2 new chickens have infected my flock with mycoplasma too, 8 of 15 chickens got sick, 5 of them seriously.... swollen eyes, stopped eating and a bad cough, I treated them and all got well again, but... what about setting eggs, I read that the bacteria stays in your flock, and whenever you have baby chickens, more than usual don’t survive hatching ( getting stuck in the shell) or get sick with mycoplasma and don’t make it :( has anyone here got experience what happens after your chickens contracted it?
since the chickens are my pets, I really had a hard time for 2 weeks, every day fearing one of them had died during the night, I never want to go through that again, of course every now and then a chicken got something, or I had to put one of them to sleep, but I’ve never ever had something like that go through my flock! And I never want to, again 😢

Back
Top Bottom