Mycotoxins and Coccidiosis, Sulfa drugs question

bebesdeivanka

Chirping
Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

I have coccidiosis for the first time in my life in my flock of 120 hens (they are mostly rescue and 2+ years old).

My vet gave me this sulfa drug and said 3 to 5 days is enough. We are on day 4 and the poop is finally getting better, less diarhea, they are eating better.

Should I extend the sulfas in water untill they are perfect? Because I read somewhere on this forum that sometimes you have to keep the meds going untill they are OK (and I just really want to be sure)

I'm asking because i have zero confidence in that vet..he is only useful for buying the meds. I had coccidiosis for a week and he fought me that that's not it and that my problem is another and keep insisting me to give them piperazyne (i worm them every 2 months with that regulary so I knew those were not just common parasites).

I will be extremly gratefull for any insight, below is the drug I am giving them, 1/2 grams (half a gram) per liter of water.

We are located in Argentina so no Corid is available here.

Mycotoxins: I had a hen getting very very skinny and the results of necropsy came back positive for mycotoxins.. I have deep cleaned the coop. The problem was not the feed but a pile of bedding that got wet outiside the coop (left to composte). Wish i would know that before :( probably where the cocidiosis started too..

Attachments

• IMG-20230912-WA0044.jpeg
    IMG-20230912-WA0044.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 51
My vet gave me this sulfa drug and said 3 to 5 days is enough. We are on day 4 and the poop is finally getting better, less diarhea, they are eating better.

Should I extend the sulfas in water untill they are perfect?

I had coccidiosis for a week and he fought me that that's not it and that my problem is another and keep insisting me to give them piperazyne (i worm them every 2 months with that regulary so I knew those were not just common parasites).

Mycotoxins: I had a hen getting very very skinny and the results of necropsy came back positive for mycotoxins.. I have deep cleaned the coop. The problem was not the feed but a pile of bedding that got wet outiside the coop (left to composte). Wish i would know that before :( probably where the cocidiosis started too..
No should not extend the dosage time, you should give it 3-5 days as the vet suggested and per the label on the product. (Carry out treatment 3-5 days).

Piperazine will treat Roundworms only. Did your vet run a fecal float and tell you the type of parasites that were found?

Here's some reading about Mycotoxins. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...poultry,contaminated feed and supportive care.

Here's some reading about Coccidiosis. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ination with characteristic necropsy findings.

1694924613821.png

Back
Top Bottom