mysterious chicked death

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I have a small flock with 2 friendly snuggly barred rocks and this evening I only saw 5 of my girls in my little back yard and eventually I spotted the 6th girl in a heap under the porch - she didn't seem to be breathing, I just saw her a few hours ago panting but otherwise looking healthy (and its been much hotter around here in the past month). I gently goy her body out and she seemed intact, no obvious injuries, no blood, her eyes were closed and her feet were folded up in 'roosting pose' although she was on the ground. I hope she died peacefully. If she had been alive at all, I thought I might need to end her sufferring. She was only 2 years old and a wonderful sweet pet. I threw a hunk of watermelon off the deck to them earlier today and I watch to be sure I don't whack a chicken (and I saw it hit the ground a plit) but now I'm worried maybe somehow I hit her with the heavy watermelon and hurt her but she crawled under the deck to die? I hope not, but at least it would be a reason - and not knowing is scary too. How does one dispose of a dead pet chicken? I have a tiny yard and a big dog, so I double backed her soft sweet body in several brown paper grocery bags and am leaving her beside the trash can. I feel awful treating her body like that, but if I buried her I would need a big big hole and my dog might dig her up!! And it just seems creepy anyway.

Back
Top Bottom