Mysterious death

My remaining chicks are all in great shape and will be moving outside soon
1f60a.png
I think my chick that died may have just had some abnormality from birth.

Where I live the temp during the day is still in the 60-70 degrees range. I can put them in the run with a heat lamp though. At what age can they be without the heat lamp?

Age shouldn't even be a consideration. Percentage feathered and number of chicks is more important imo. A batch of my marans were almost 50% feathered by the second week for some weird unexplainable reason. There were 16. They stayed away from the heater and each other. I turned the heat off. This week they're outside and temps are high 70s to low 50s at night.

Had I only 2 or 3 I would have kept them in the garage this week until this c.f. old snap passed but with 16 if they get chilly at night I figure they'll learn how to get real chummy real fast.

There are no rules only general guidelines which need to be tempered with good judgement. 2 chicks will need more and longer heat than 16 of the same age and development that when huddled together create their own heat source.

My remaining chicks are all in great shape and will be moving outside soon
1f60a.png
I think my chick that died may have just had some abnormality from birth.

Yes, that seems mosst likely. I am glad everyone else is fine - that is always the biggest worry!

Back
Top Bottom