Mysterious deaths

Sassy1967

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Alabama
For the second time in the last couple of days, I've gone to say good morning to our chickens only to find one dead. It's like the fall right where they were sleeping. There's no sign of it being a predator attack and they were fine when I put them to bed. What could be going on?? I don't want to lose anymore of my babies
sad.png

Im having the same problem! I brought my 7 week old chicks inside because of the hurricane that was coming through and my children got up, morning before last, and found one dead :0( Than, there were two more dead this morning
hit.gif
I dont know what is going on! Hopefully someone can give us some ideas on what could be happening.

sad.png
I'm so sorry to hear that! It's just heartbreaking to lose them. I get anxious every morning when I go out to check them, not knowing if I'll find another one gone. Mine are about 6 months old, one was a white Leghorn, the other was a Brown Sexlink. I'd give anything to know what I need to do. I'm wondering if I need to change their food over to medicated type. I hope you don't lose any more either. It's just so sad to lose any of our babies and especially when we don't have a clue as to why!
sad.png

You need to do some detective work. How does their poo look? Spend time watching them...is anyone sneezing? laying down a lot? check them for bugs. There are so many things that could be wrong, you need to weed out the obvious first then dig further.

Is it overly hot or cold where you live? Have you changed food or anything lately?

Mathesonfarm - where do you have the chickens inside? Could there be chemicals affecting them? At 7 weeks I'd start with examining poo and for parasites to rule those out.

Edited to add - The medicated is for chicks. If they are laying then that adds to the things that could be wrong. Let us know how and what you feed. Have you wormed them?

Last edited:
They are about 6 months old and not laying yet. They're poo seems normal,..I checked it against the 'poo chart' and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary. I haven't changed their food,...still giving them the same thing they've been on for several months. They get cracked corn, plus, they are free range so they get their bugs, veggies and grass. It has been VERY hot here. I keep them in the shade as much as possible with plenty of water to drink. It's just baffling me as to what's happening. We assumed they would start laying any time now, but I'm not even sure about that. Thanks for trying to help me. I'm clueless!!
sad.png

Sassy - your roo is amazingly beautiful, assuming the avatar pic is him
wink.png

I'd start thinking about parasites. Check them over and perhaps start a worming program. With the excessive heat if they are weakened by parasites that could kill them.

If you are not feeding a store bought feed and only cracked corn maybe you should start. They really need calcium once they start laying, either feed a layer mash or a flock feed and provide calcium free choice. Corn is candy to chickens and it produces a lot of heat in their tummies which they do not need right now.

How hot is the coop at night? Poor things might be just dying from the heat
sad.png
can you cool it with a fan?

I hope you can figure it out, losing birds is awful and especially when they are ready to start laying.

My chicks poop looks normal, according to the poo chart but I will start looking closer at all and make sure it is ok. I feed them a store bought feed and they also free range. The other day they all (Big chickens and the chicks) got into a BIG mushroom and ate it but the chickens are fine, its just the chicks that keep dying. BTW, another BO this morning and they are back outside. I know that it was nothing inside that couldve hurt them and I also have 2 week old chicks in the same place and they are doing fine. I definately need to watch them and see if I see any obvious sign that something is wrong. I am so heartbroken and devistated :0( My poor babies! I broke down and cried this morning when I found another BO dead
hit.gif
I dont want to lose anymore!!!!!

Sorry for your losses
sad.png

Maybe the mushroom affected the babies more because they were smaller? Or perhaps they got into something else outside that you didn't see? I agree with Stuck in the Coop that heat can be a big danger- has it been very hot where you are? I hope you find out what is causing the deaths.

@Sassy- You should definitely be feeding regular chicken feed to your pullets, corn is just a treat it doesn't have the right protein or calcium they need, free ranging is great but they still need a regular source of food, it could be that they lack of feed and the heat is causing them to die. I would also check for mites/lice- an infestation can kill a chicken, check for little bugs under their wings and around the vent area. You can dust your chickens with Sevin dust to kill off any bugs. Good luck!

It hasnt been hot here in New York, its been about mid 70s. They could have gotten into something else, Im not sure what is dangerous for them to eat outside but we dont have too much around. There are some grape vines and there were some raspberry and blackberry bushes but I dont think they are fruiting anymore and I dont think that would hurt then anyways...I dont think. The chicken are always eating out of my garden, which doesnt make me too happy, lol, but the only things in there are watermelon, cucumbers, greenbeans and tomatoes. I just dont know!
Time for us to do some watching and exploring, Sassy! I hope we get to the bottom of our problems.

Thank you!
smile.png
The Roo you see is one of my babies. We call him 'Big Daddy'. He's a Yokohama and is the boss of the bunch...LOL! Thank you for the advice!! I've been giving them cracked corn only and with it being so hot, that's probably what's happening. Bless their hearts! I'll go get some mash/pellets tomorrow and correct that problem. Thank goodness I didn't awake to another death this morning. But I know it can easily happen again. The temp in the coop at night is relatively cool. So, I feel sure that it's probably from the cracked corn and heat. Their poo looks ok and they show no other signs of distress during the day. I can't thank you enough for your help!!
love.gif
:love

Back
Top Bottom