Mystery Bantam from Ideal

brideofchaos

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2015
Magnolia, KY
Hey, y'all,

I got the 25 Bantam Assortment special from Ideal today and most of the chicks I figured out were Cochins and d'uccles...but this one stumps me, due to color. They HAD told me a couple weeks ago that they were currently hatching mainly cochins, d'uccles, silkies and OEGB. Could it be a funky color of OEGB? Any other ideas? I looked up all the breeds of bantams they hatched and that's the only thing that I could think of....pale yellowish (closer to white) with distinct black dots (maybe 3-4) on his back. Yellow legs. No extra toes, nor feather shanks.

Ideal has a million different OEGB colors (about 60, actually). I have a few chicks I suspect are OEGB from Ideal (I ordered 10 assorted bantams, they sent me 14 and 15 packing peanuts), but I have absolutely no idea on color, as there are a few each that have similar colored babies. You'll pretty much just have to wait until the color comes in.

For anyone else throwing out guesses, there aren't many other breeds it can be. Ideal only has these other breeds for bantams:

Sultan
Brahma
Cochin
D'uccle
Silkie
EE
Black Rosecomb
Black Sumatra
Buff Orp
Single Comb Nankin
RIR
Sicilian Buttercup
WCB Polish
Single Comb White Leghorn
WFB Spanish
Cornish
D'anver
Dutch
Japanese
Modern
(OEGB)
Sebright
Wyandotte
Rose Comb Nankin

With that list...and knowing it has light yellow legs, single comb, no leg feathers, no muffs, no head crests, not a Cornish body, and a couple of black dots, I would guess OEGB if it is the same size as the others, ie, not really tiny. With that base and the black dots, if really small, it might be a mottled Japanese (but the dots don't look quite right).

So my guess OEGB, but time will tell.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom