Mystery blood?

Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
Hi guys i went out to check my quails and found alot of blood in my small coop.
Its actually my hospital coop that ive only had 2 quails in because they are smaller then the full grown quails and using it to safely introduce them. So this coop is completely clean and predator proof. Nothing to snag herself on or hit.

I washed off the quail that was covered in blood (completely covered her belly) fearing her insides were now outsides. I actually had to cut feathers off to get the congealed blood off but there was no wound.
Not a scratch or puncture wound at all.
Check every inch of this quail and no signs of injury. Checked her butt and NOTHING. shes pooping fine so not egg bound. Other quail didnt have a spec of blood on it either.

Can quails bleed alot from a minuscule pin prick of an injury? Im very worried, it was alot of blood and cant find the source.

Did you inspect toenails? A broken toenail can bleed a lot.
I did look at her feet and obviously there was blood all over them. But i didnt notice any damaged nails. I will have a closer inspection. Thank you
Edit: i believe you are correct. I re-examined her toes and they all looked perfect except one that seemed to the faintest bit bruised under the nail. I assumed it lifted enough to bleed but still not look injured. I am still so shocked at how much blood came from that though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom