Mystery Breed

FlaneryFlock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
From my last thread, the turkeys are doing extremely well. I had gone on a small trip and when I came back I hardly recognized them. I was hoping that since she has grown more I would get an idea on what she is. However, I still can't. She's like a blue, but the woman said she doesn't have any blue in her flock. Maybe a blue calico of some sort?

Her as a smaller baby with my bronze:

I don't recognize it, but the colors are hard to see. The bronze looks like it has blue in it, which makes me wonder what colrs i am really looking at. I doubt that it is a calico with a blue gene. I don't think such a bird would produce so many colored feathers right away. Most of the early feathers would be all white or all light gray. Also, the calico wouldn't have a stripe down the back in the younger picture. Sweetgrass would have a stripe, but not as wide as what yours shows.

Too bad you don't have more information about the parents.

Wait and see what happens as it gets older...
caf.gif

I have some similar poults, just under 2 weeks of age. Two are the bronze type, three are what I think will be lilac, and the sixth is like your grey. They came out of turkeys with a red slate coloring. and according to Porter's the three expected results for breeding these are bronze, lilac, and red slate. After reading about the turkey genetics on BYC it seems that you can generate colors with various different parent colored pairs. So who knows, but it might be a red slate like mine...check them out on Porters.

It certainly looks like their is some blue, but the parents are not supposed to have any blue genes. We need to knwo more about the parents...or wait till it grows up. It is not uncommon to receive poults from people that are not of the advertised lineage. Lots of people don't really know what colors their turkeys are, and even less know how to predict the colors of the offspring. I'm not trying to be critical of people not interested in genetics, just pointing out that when people but birds of unknown parentage and then breed them, the results are often mysterious.

It certainly looks like their is some blue, but the parents are not supposed to have any blue genes. We need to knwo more about the parents...or wait till it grows up. It is not uncommon to receive poults from people that are not of the advertised lineage. Lots of people don't really know what colors their turkeys are, and even less know how to predict the colors of the offspring. I'm not trying to be critical of people not interested in genetics, just pointing out that when people but birds of unknown parentage and then breed them, the results are often mysterious.

She bred them herself, I asked her what it was and she said it could be a mix or a pure of royal palm, sweetgrass, and bronze. She also has a few mixes that are breeding. Is there any kind of combo gene of those that would make a blue? Give me a second and I'll take a better picture.

Wow what a pretty baby. I really want to get some blue slate turkeys next year. Figure I have my hands full this year with ducks, geese and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom