Mystery Bunch - what breed(s) are they??

So, if the chickies end up being the breeds you guys are guessing, then we've never owned these breeds. Are they good breeds? Good layers? Nice chickens?
roll.png

Black Australorps are pretty chickens. Very black, with bright green beetling on the feathers. Acceptable layers of brown eggs, have a chance to go broody.

White Leghorns are lovely, slim, active, all white birds with large combs. Do great in the summer, watch them for frostbite in the winter. Extremely good layers of large white eggs, won't ever go broody, may burn out after two years. Not really birds that like to be cuddled.

Tetra Tints are a white bird with reddish feathers around the neck. Great layers of cream colored eggs. A little heavier bodied than Leghorns. Flighty, like Leghorns.

Production Reds are another workhorse commercial breed. Extremely good layers of large to jumbo brown eggs. Again, not a cuddly breed, or one that will go broody. Also may stop laying after 2- 3 years.

White Rocks are great dual-purpose birds. White feathers, yellow skin. Much heavier than a white Leghorn. Decent layers of lighter brown eggs, good eating if you eat them young.

Here, this is the link you need: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
Wonderful! Thank you! I'll post more pictures when they start getting some more feathers in
smile.png

At first I thought penguin was an Austrolorpe as well but she has white wing feathers. Generally Aussies are all black with maybe some tiny white chips as they age. Perhaps a barred rock or Dominique? If this is so she'll get more white feathers in along with the black. Like stripes.

Well, Australorp chicks do have quite a bit of white that must go away as they age. Dominique and Barred Rock chicks look to have a single white-ish spot on the tops of their heads...Penguin doesn't have that. However, the Silver Lace Wyandotte chicks do have some unusual facial markings, much like Penguins...maybe?

I have a lot to learn about the breeds of chickens. I am better at chicken houses. These to me are the cute breed.

I've only had one silver Wyandotte and I don't remember the placement of colors. How about her comb? I think the wyandottes have a rose comb or ?? Something like that. Of course tht doesn't make it or break it. I have two seabrights with a rose comb and one with a straight comb. They're all hatchery birds sooooo...

That's okay! I did a little research is all. We're still learning most everything about chickens, that's why I wanted to see what breeds everyone thought we may have
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom