mystery chick mixed in with my barred rocks

walkingcrow3

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Picked up 6 of them at the local feed mill, I think they came from mcmurray hatchery. All supposed to be barred rock females. Then this one just sort of started looking different. The first thing I noticed was the white leg coloring and the beak. While my barred rocks had yellow legs with the typical black wash and yellow beaks. They are now just shy of two months old, just now starting to get a bit of red showing where their waddles will be and their combs are tinged pink. I call this one Oddball. Beautiful light silvery gray, very pale comb and beak so far, legs still pale as ever. I heard from the marans club on facebook that it was definitely a cuckoo marans rooster. Whatever it is, it is a very pretty chicken, their mistake was my lucky d

pic #1 good view of the legs

pic #2 the neck feathers are rounded
pic #3 a closer look of the head and neck area. Such a pretty little bird.

pic #4 these are some of the barred rocks with Oddball in the middle there.

Silver penciled rock!
thumbsup.gif

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_penciled_rocks.html

Last edited:
I'm thinking the hatchery had an 'oopsy'. I'm seeing barring on her, not pencilling. She looks like a barred rock roo got into the pencilled rock pen.

I am seeing sort of a cross as well, I do think it is a rooster, yet I can't see any definitive "barring". After asking a marans club they said definitely a cuckoo marans rooster. But the more I look at it, the more I don't see a defined breed. I don't really trust the hatcheries to send the correct birds to a store anyway. However I just my only two barred rocks to a momma fox. So I picked up Oddball and the others a few weeks ago. Either way I feel I got sort of lucky to get such a beautiful bird in the mix by mistake. LOL

Back
Top Bottom