Mystery chick...please don’t be a roo

Sep 18, 2019
Lafayette, CA
18BBCFE2-C202-4924-8D52-0430F6D53B47.jpeg
0371CE92-1FA6-4D30-8EA5-4EAC7EA2A1D8.jpeg
1191972B-D1B4-49AA-9117-BEFE7BEFF440.jpeg
I think I am attaching three pics of my mystery chick, 5 weeks old, included as my Murray McMurray surprise (although I asked them not to send me a surprise, but oh well...)

Is it a rooster? Also, is it a Wyandotte or something else?

Thanks in advance
Carolyn

Maybe it's not so bad.

When I ordered a Black Copper Marans hen from a hatchery they sent me a little cockerel by mistake. I was really disappointed that I wouldn't get the deep chocolate eggs I was looking forward to but he turned out to be beautiful. Later, virulent Newcastle Disease hit Los Angeles county where I live. We were -- are still -- under quarantine and my order for new hens was refused last spring.

Monsieur Maurice was the ONLY chance I had to get a chick. He gave us 3 crossed with a Cream Legbar (blue eggs). I'm hoping to see a green egg or two sometime in the next couple months.

Roos are gorgeous and they have their own personalities. You may end up glad to have him. Even if it's just for a while. I had a neighbor who objected to him (also 2 other households who loved him but the squeaky wheel and all that...) so he's no longer with us. But his chicks are. AND I kept one little cockerel for the coming year just in case we're still in quarantine.

It's pretty damned exciting if you get to hatch your own chicks. And if you have kids or grandkids they'll really get a very special experience. We had kids from all over the neighborhood checking on the progress in our incubator and our brooder kennel. It's an experience I'm very glad we got to have. ...but I still look forward to the day when I can get my Black Copper Marans hen and my chocolate eggs.

Maybe it's not so bad.

When I ordered a Black Copper Marans hen from a hatchery they sent me a little cockerel by mistake. I was really disappointed that I wouldn't get the deep chocolate eggs I was looking forward to but he turned out to be beautiful. Later, virulent Newcastle Disease hit Los Angeles county where I live. We were -- are still -- under quarantine and my order for new hens was refused last spring.

Monsieur Maurice was the ONLY chance I had to get a chick. He gave us 3 crossed with a Cream Legbar (blue eggs). I'm hoping to see a green egg or two sometime in the next couple months.

Roos are gorgeous and they have their own personalities. You may end up glad to have him. Even if it's just for a while. I had a neighbor who objected to him (also 2 other households who loved him but the squeaky wheel and all that...) so he's no longer with us. But his chicks are. AND I kept one little cockerel for the coming year just in case we're still in quarantine.

It's pretty damned exciting if you get to hatch your own chicks. And if you have kids or grandkids they'll really get a very special experience. We had kids from all over the neighborhood checking on the progress in our incubator and our brooder kennel. It's an experience I'm very glad we got to have. ...but I still look forward to the day when I can get my Black Copper Marans hen and my chocolate eggs.
Nicely put.
It's even more exciting when a hen goes broody and hatches them out herself.
momma and baby-2.jpg
momma and baby.jpg

Back
Top Bottom