"Mystery" chick sent in MPC order

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JestersEye, Sep 10, 2009.

1. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I ordered three female Blue Andalusian chicks from MyPetChicken.com, and chose "will not accept substitutions" and "will not accept hatch day substituions", to be sent on the "first available" date. They were due to arrive this week between Tuesday and Thursday, and they arrived today. So far so good... [​IMG]

However, as cute as ALL the chicks obviously are... one of them is definately NOT a blue andalusian!!! She is RED with a blue chest! She is beautiful, but I have no idea what breed she is. If I had to take a guess (with the limited experience I have), I'd have to wonder if she could be a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. If so, I'd be very happy, since I was just becoming interested in them from pictures I've seen on the internet.

I called MPC and they are looking at my pics and checking into the details of my order. I'm really hoping they can tell me what breed(s) they actually sent in my order. Would any BYCers out there like to take a stab at guessing what she will turn out to be? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two pics are of the acceptable Andies: probably a blue and black, from the looks of them.
    The last two pics show the front and back of the red and blue "mystery" chick.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have no idea, but they are all adorable!!!! [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My BLRW chicks are a lot lighter then that. Thinking maybe something else. I will take some pictures of mine and post them for you later today. Maybe someone else has chick pics of BLRW? They are SO cute.

4. UtopiaChick

UtopiaChick New Egg

Sep 10, 2009
    I don't know , but she sure is neat looking..

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have several BLRW chicks that I rec'd this Spring from MM and a local breeder. They can have much different shades/degrees of red. Looking at your pictures, I would say that the chickie is a BLRW. I just love mine. They are very calm and tame - just seemed to be that way - right from the start - from both sources. I plan to order more in the Spring. Enjoy your babies...I enjoyed your pictures...thanks for posting.

6. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Wow, thanks everyone for posting! They are SO DARN CUTE, I can't stand it. We haven't had chicks since last year, and I'd forgotten how snuggly and adorable they are. I love to just rub my face over them! (Ok, that might be just a little weird.) [​IMG]

Anyway, I really hope you're right, JoJo... I'd so love to have a BLRW hen! If anyone else has other ideas, or if you'd just like to comment or confirm our suspicions; please continue to add your thoughts to this thread. This is kinda fun, huh? [​IMG]

I love BYC... It's the only place that understands my growing obsession!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Don't know but they are super cute.

Nothing weird about rubbing your face with them.

ISN'T THAT WHAT EVERYBODY DOES????? [​IMG]

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If the second bird is a BLRW, which I am not sure that it is, it has a single comb.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

What color are the legs? It looks like an EE to me.

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    have to agree with the last couple of posts... blrw's have rose combs and yellow legs. They are all very very cute though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by